Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Consolation prize

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2022 7:44PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sold a property yesterday, walked out of the close with enough to buy my dream coin (1915 Pan Pac $50 Octagon MS64-ish).

But I decided to do the wholly rational, adult thing :'( and use the money to pay down debt and sandbag so that my wife could retire at 53.

But that didn't stop me from taking a fat stack of $100 bills to the local B&M, determined to at least get something for a trophy on this successful business transaction.
"Sorry, I just don't have anything."
You don't have anything?
"No, really, I just don't have anything that would work for what you're after"
Nothing? I'm $2kish, cash in hand?
"No. Just this box of stuff I know you've seen before...
...well, there's this. But I can't imagine you'd be interested. I'd let you have it for melt."

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt??? :o

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Melt??? :o

So I did ok for melt? They thought it was a solid XF. >:)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! That's awesome!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled a few of those in the past and it was always a struggle to get much of a premium over melt unless they were nice MS pieces. Have they finally moved up in the food chain???

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse shows a bit of luster halo'ing around the devices which indicate cleaning, but i still think it's a great deal for melt.

• Options

I mean. If "luster haloing around devices" indicates cleaning on 170 year old gold. Sign me up?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take is a bit different on "luster haloing" on gold. Unless there are hairlines, many times it's just that the areas around the devices are protected from circulation rub which clouds the luster in open fields.

It's a different case when you see "toning haloing" on silver coins which often does indicate cleaning. Areas protected from rub are not generally protected from toning unless something happened to the coin.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

You suck!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really nice! Your shop sure gets some interesting crap any given day. B)