Home Sports Talk
Options

Bad winter so far?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

We usually don't see too much winter weather down my way but we got hammered a couple of days ago with a snow and sleet storm, and there could be more on Thursday and Friday. How bad has it been where you are?

This is a photo of a road in my city taken a couple of days ago.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s kids stuff Double D, you guys down south don’t realize what a legit snow storm
    Is.

Up my way it’s been a very light winter so far 👍🏼👍🏼

• Options

@perkdog said:
    That’s kids stuff Double D, you guys down south don’t realize what a legit snow storm
    Is.

Up my way it’s been a very light winter so far 👍🏼👍🏼

I've heard about the storms up North, I know they're brutal. You should see people down here, people go crazy over a little bit of snow, the bread and milk was cleaned out at the Wal-Mart the other day because people were scared of being trapped at home because of the roads. People down here are terrified of a little bit of snow. 😂😂

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got some nice snow in our burb. Had the jeep sliding around for some fun. Love taking it out in the slop, especially since I only have a safari top and just doors on it. Real open weather driving, had to throw my Iceland jacket on.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very severe conditions here. Quite unusual. Last week we experienced scattered rain showers during one 12 hour period. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant was tuned into the local weather hotline and so she was able make the timely pre-emergency adjustment of bringing the patio seat cushions into the house. And.....coming home from the game last Sunday night a slight mist developed on the car windshield so I had to push the intermediate action lever to power up the wipers and I also activated the interior windshield defrost unit and set the temperatue gauge to 75°. It was touch and go for awhile but I did my part and we got through it. Other than that, not much happening on the weather front around here.

• Options

Down here, I'm having fo fight off little old ladies for the last loaf of bread!

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

Been very mild here in Albuquerque. Most days in the fifties and even sixties.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in lovely Loxahatchee, Florida we had a cold snap yesterday morning, got down to 42 F. Brrrr! lol

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing should be fina than to be in Carolina..........................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

78 here in H-Town today, global warming......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

We finally got some snow a few days ago - but only about 7" - First time my one duck I got this summer saw snow and he was scared to come out of the garage - the other ducks are used to it

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    We usually don't see too much winter weather down my way but we got hammered a couple of days ago with a snow and sleet storm, and there could be more on Thursday and Friday. How bad has it been where you are?

I’m sorry if you’ve mentioned it before but what city do you live in?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

I’m sorry if you’ve mentioned it before but what city do you live in?

I live in Greensboro North Carolina, we get a few storms a winter but nothing like they get up north. I wish it would snow more down here, I actually enjoy these winter storms.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 5:56PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Been very mild here in Albuquerque. Most days in the fifties and even sixties.

Albuquerque has the second best weather year round only behind Coastal California from Frisco down to San Diego in the whole U.S.A. The light Winter snow in Albuquerque is an extra added treat! The weather in Albuquerque is basically the same as Inland SoCal but not hot in the Summer.........MARVELOUS!

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 7:14PM

@Hydrant said:
    Albuquerque has the second best weather year round only behind Coastal California from Frisco down to San Diego in the whole U.S.A. The light Winter snow in Albuquerque is an extra added treat! The weather in Albuquerque is basically the same as Inland SoCal but not hot in the Summer.........MARVELOUS!

ABQ 2nd best weather year round, ah yes, bc LC (&ELP) is 1rst. Dry, highs in the 60s lo 70s winter, dry lows in the 60s summer........ Frisco? Every time I am there it is cloudy, misty, and a humid 50s-60s, no matter time of year. Ick. Same as SB (more sun but still chilly). Seriously??????

But don't tell anyone, we don't want any more SoCals or northerners moving here, we like our small town as it is..................

Best, SH

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

ABQ 2nd best weather year round, ah yes, bc LC (&ELP) is 1rst. Dry, highs in the 60s lo 70s winter, dry lows in the 60s summer........ Frisco? Every time I am there it is cloudy, misty, and a humid 50s-60s, no matter time of year. Ick. Same as SB (more sun but still chilly). Seriously??????

But don't tell anyone, we don't want any more SoCals or northerners moving here, we like our small town as it is..................

Best, SH

House prices here have gone through the roof in the past year because of people from California leaving the state in droves.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

very mild winter up here in central maine so far. very little snow. maybe 15" total so far. been a little cold, temps below freezing a few days. wind chills those days were -30 to -40. its the wind chill that gets you. those days are miserable.

a number of years ago, i remember one storm that dumped 44" on us in a 24 hour period. it was nuts. i had to snowblow 4 times that day. the second time i actually had to shovel the snowblower out before i could start it up!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Granted I'm a MI polar bear but I've been wearing shorts mostly so far minus a handful of days. Being old and having fairly numb legs anymore though might have something to do with it, ha!

• Options

I can't believe this, it snowed 2 inches last night, and this morning I went to wal-mart and when I pulled into the parking lot I noticed it was empty, so I walked to the front door and they'e closed. I can't believe they're closed because it snowed 2 inches. My city is so stupid.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Sounds great, except who the heck wants to live in Albuquerque! Lol!

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Greetings from Fargo, ND

• Options

I just got back from wal-mart again and now they have a sign on the door that says "due to inclement weather and lack of staff, we are closed." That's twice today that I've drove there for nothing. I went to another grocery store and they're cleaned out of just about everything. All of this over 2 inches of snow that fell last night!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    loudspeaker at wally world: "attention walmart employees and shoppers. please find a place to hide. the patti labelle guy is here. we're gonna lock the doors and turn off the lights for 5 minutes."

Patti pies were indeed on the list, four of them to be exact, I guess I'll have to take a beatdown from my wife tonight!

• Options

Welcome to the South!

• Options

Oh no, no, my wife is attempting to call Wal-Mart, no, stop please, you're embarrassing me!

• Options

Brutal conditions here today.....61°... constant 20-25 mph wind for 2 days... clear skys , but leaves are blowing everywhere, the branches on the trees are moving back and forth and dust is accumulating on both front and back porch. Great day to stay inside and watch football.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 12:10PM

@Hydrant said:
    Brutal conditions here today.....61°... constant 20-25 mph wind for 2 days... clear skys , but leaves are blowing everywhere, the branches on the trees are moving back and forth and dust is accumulating on both front and back porch. Great day to stay inside and watch football.

Just finished getting the leaf situation under control. Will be watching the games on the outdoor TV ( 70 degrees today) but having some one hang this bad boy up in the TV room. The old 2003 Circa plasma finally bit the dust

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Hydrant said:

Just finished getting the leaf situation under control. Will be watching the games on the outdoor TV but having some one hang this bad boy up in the TV room. The old 2003 Circa plasma finally bit the dust

I've actually been outside a lot in the wind the last couple of days. It's the perfect time to get out the leaf blower. Watch those babies FLY!! About your new big-screen....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant had one of those giant monstrosities installed here just before the football season started so we could REALLY see the action! I like it for the games but that's about it. When I watch Leave It To Beaver reruns.....Wally and The Beavers heads are just too big. I don't mind seeing Mrs. Cleaver's head blown up so big but other than football games I try to avoid the big screen experience...... Something about it is just not natural.

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:

Er, ah, at least 960,000 people want to live in the ABQ metro area according to their population figures. Why would anyone want to live anywhere? To each their own so it seems over the top for you to question that. FWIW ABQ is a great place for alot of things, just like anywhere.

• Options

I sit under this palm tree when I watch the games. With the wind the palm nuts become like heat seeking missiles. Will have to gear up for that

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

My point was there's a lot more to someone's quality of life in a place besides the weather. I do my best to avoid places with sky high murder rates and nonstop drug trafficking from Mexico. Only had one murder in my town in the last 40 years...

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:
    My point was there's a lot more to someone's quality of life in a place besides the weather. I do my best to avoid places with sky high murder rates and nonstop drug trafficking from Mexico. Only had one murder in my town in the last 40 years...

To each is own. I do my best to avoid places that most people don't want to live.

m

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

Er, ah, at least 960,000 people want to live in the ABQ metro area according to their population figures. Why would anyone want to live anywhere? To each their own so it seems over the top for you to question that. FWIW ABQ is a great place for alot of things, just like anywhere.

Don't forget Rio Rancho which is only a couple of miles from Albuquerque which has a few hundred thousand people living there too. Would anybody like to live in New York of Chicago instead? Crime is everywhere my friend but the climate is not.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 2:13PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I sit under this palm tree when I watch the games. With the wind the palm nuts become like heat seeking missiles. Will have to gear up for that

I've got a couple of those palms on my place too. Ancient ones.....The Idaho Hydrants came down for the playoff game last week....The two little guys 7 &9 years old were really impressed by the palm trees! Never noticed them before....." What are they?"

P.S. I know exactly where you live.....beautiful! I can see those same hills way, way off in the distance from my place about 40-50 miles or so. Man it's awesome around here! What scenery!

• Options

"Cleveland temperatures plummet below 0 for 1st time since 2019"

Last night we hit MINUS 7° - today though, back up to a balmy 28°

• Options

Crime is everywhere my friend but the climate is not.

True, but Ill take any location that's not near the Mexican border. Not much human trafficking or rampant drug trafficking around here. I'll take a safe place to live over nice weather any day. You can't appreciate the nice weather if you're six feet under...

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 7:47PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

Crime is everywhere my friend but the climate is not.

True, but Ill take any location that's not near the Mexican border. Not much human trafficking or rampant drug trafficking around here. I'll take a safe place to live over nice weather any day. You can't appreciate the nice weather if you're six feet under...

I live 30 miles from the border, never see human or drug trafficking, ever. I'm thinking someone is watching too much FN.

• Options

{ I'm thinking someone is watching too much FN.}
    Is that really necessary in a thread about winter weather????

• Options

I live 30 miles from the border, never see human or drug trafficking, ever. I'm thinking someone is watching too much FN.

Why would you see it out in the open? Geez, what a stupid reply.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

CT has a shortfall of snow but approximately average year in temps. That means it’s been colder than the last several years.

I could easily see myself where they had a recent snow droppage, and it’s yet to be mentioned: Hawaii

I will stay on the part of the islands where the mountains and volcanoes provide some tropical storm protection however small

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been interesting to see football being played in conditions from when I was a kid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

everyone has a different idea of paradise. don't yuck someone else's yum.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

{ I'm thinking someone is watching too much FN.}
    Is that really necessary in a thread about winter weather????

Is it necessary to start talking about talking points of propaganda that does not represent what is really happening with respect to crime along the border? I did not start this, I just commented on a misguided post.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

One of the positives is that for us January 12th is statistically the coldest week of the year. After that week the avg temps start to creep up

• Options

Since this is a thread about Winter weather, let's stick with the theme and keep it cool around here.

• Options

We just got hit with another 6-7" of snow this morning/afternoon. Now gotta get outside, shovel snow and fill the bird feeders before first game kickoff..................

• Options

Look at those yummy birds out there!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    everyone has a different idea of paradise. don't yuck someone else's yum.

Exactly !!

I do have to smile at the crazy exuberance over having an inch or so of snow here. People send in videos of snow falling and decks covered with such little snow that you can see more surface than snow. They go a little overboard (IMO) with spraying a brine solution and sand on the roads, I doubt the brine does much, as generally it rains first, which washes it away, probably not good for the environment. I live between Atlanta and Augusta GA on a lake, it is rare to get snow here.

I think Tennessee is pretty close to the sweet spot, four distinct seasons, none are brutal, very pastoral, yet city life isn't too far away, like Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. Great trout fishing, hunting, hiking and maybe a few inches of the white stuff each year just to keep you dialed in. They just need a few casinos to make it perfect. B)

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    We just got hit with another 6-7" of snow this morning/afternoon. Now gotta get outside, shovel snow and fill the bird feeders before first game kickoff..................

That looks like a nice painting! Are those cardinals? We see them sporadically down here in Florida but not like that. Beautiful!