Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found CRH Aug 3, 2021 1970 Quarter Struck on Dime Stock!

Hello all, wanted to share with you the 1970 Damaged Quarter struck on Dime Stock. It was a great find, just wish someone did't try to cut it in half. :s

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weight of a dime is 2.268 grams... so it is not struck on a dime planchet. Normal weight for a quarter is 5.67 grams, so probably due to underweight quarter planchet and normal wear.

----- kj
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 10:51AM

The error is very common for this date, struck on dime stock (not a dime planchet).

The coin is so damaged, no error collect would want it IMO.

• Options
    arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Weight of a dime is 2.268 grams... so it is not struck on a dime planchet. Normal weight for a quarter is 5.67 grams, so probably due to underweight quarter planchet and normal wear

By Coin World article dated Feb 10, 2012 This coin was struck on Dime Stock.https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/determining-weight-essential-in-evaluating-wr.html

• Options
    arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    The error is very common for this date, struck on dime stock (not a dime planchet).

I'm a error collector and I am proud to want it and have it. :D

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 11:07AM

@arby96 said:

@tincup said:
    Weight of a dime is 2.268 grams... so it is not struck on a dime planchet. Normal weight for a quarter is 5.67 grams, so probably due to underweight quarter planchet and normal wear

By Coin World article dated Feb 10, 2012 This coin was struck on Dime Stock.https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/determining-weight-essential-in-evaluating-wr.html

The confusion is between stock (the thinner metal rolled out to be used for dimes, but instead turned into quarters) and a dime planchet—a blank punched out and sized for a dime. You said it correctly, but since errors where the wrong blank is used are well known, I can see how it could be misread.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember finding one of these in circulation half a century ago. The fact that you found one now is great, regardless of condition!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@arby96 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I'm a error collector and I am proud to want it and have it. :D

It is a cool find for sure since you found it in the wild.

• Options

I found two of these raw. There are a lot of these out there.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice find indeed!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

you get some good stuff from those rolls.

this error is the same error as the kennedy error on quarter stock. right diameter, but the metal it was punched from was rolled for a different an smaller denomination.

I'd be proud to have it too. As capthenway says, it is a great find for being so old.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:

@tincup said:

arby96, confusion on my part. Thanks for posting the article, and a fantastic find for sure!

----- kj
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the planchet split during striking rather than someone damaging it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats @arby96 for that find :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file