Home U.S. Coin Forum

1913-S Barber Dime - A Sleeper?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between 1990 and 2013, I accumulated nine 1913-S Barber Dimes. I remember seeing the low mintage of 510,000 on these coins, and how reasonably priced they were at the time.

When I attended my local coin shows, and I would look for these dimes, most of the time they were unavailable. And when I did on rare occasion find one, they were very reasonably priced at around $15.00, give or take.

I also picked up a couple from my local coin dealer in 2009, for $20.00 each.

Of course these coins that I bought were usually anywhere from AG to G6.

These coins today according to the PCGS price guide go for $25. in AG3 and $45.00 in G4.

I still think that sounds pretty reasonable for the mintage.

I will not buy anymore, as I already have enough.

Do you think that the 1913-S is a sleeper, and that it is still reasonably priced?

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 7:51AM

No, it's well known as a low mintage issue, and a favorite of hoarders.
    I know it's been discussed on the forum previously.
    I have a dealer friend who at one point had over 400 of them, and probably more by now
    if he hasn't dispersed them.
    Now, perhaps in higher grades like XF/AU it's genuinely scarce and in demand, but I never looked at that end of range.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 8:29AM

It's a tough and underrated coin in MS grades. I once owned a PCGS MS62 that had an MS66+ obverse and a cleaned MS60 reverse. I failed to improve upon it in several years of building my Registry set (which is long gone). The problem is that the Barber dime series is so unpopular, even compared to Barber 25c and 50c, that it's doubtful you'll ever cash in on a sleeper date. The MS coins have done nothing but drop in value since the early 2000s, with the exception of 1895-O. I don't see any buzz on this forum that would suggest that trend is likely to reverse itself any time soon.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Massively hoarded 10 to 25 years ago as a result of articles in Numismatic News. Seriously overrated in lower grades.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    It's a tough and underrated coin in MS grades. I once owned a PCGS MS62 that had an MS66+ obverse and a cleaned MS60 reverse. I failed to improve upon it in several years of building my Registry set (which is long gone). The problem is that the Barber dime series is so unpopular, even compared to Barber 25c and 50c, that it's doubtful you'll ever cash in on a sleeper date. The MS coins have done nothing but drop in value since the early 2000s, with the exception of 1895-O. I don't see any buzz on this forum that would suggest that trend is likely to reverse itself any time soon.

@rhedden Thanks for the perspective....After picking up a neat 1908 Barber Dime off GC the other day, I took a few days last month just to look around dealer's inventories, ebay, Collectors Corner, GC, etc. to see what kind of supply there was for nice mint state barber dimes, 64 through 66, and I was shocked at how few were available. They might be out of favor, but there are virtually none to be had.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, Since I started working on a set they are surging. Look at all the green arrows in the Price Guides. They are getting hard to find as it seems many are after them at the moment.

@rhedden said:

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 9:52AM

It is a scarce coin; BUT, vastly over priced compared to neighboring scarce mintmark and date Barber dimes in MS. Population at PCGS is 78 In MS 64 - MS 67. PCGS puts MS 64 value at $2,000. Neighboring coins are valued at $1,000 or less. Barber dimes may be unpopular simply because none are available for sale. : )

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 10:13AM

They can't be that hard to find. I found one in the garbage-lol.

Since then I completed a starter set of 26 as found in AG.

In retrospect I guess it wasn't free after all.

Here's my 'one thin dime'.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 11:13AM

I had been saving them for years, before the Numismatic News series on the.
    The writer for NN's 'Trends' column spoke about them for about a year, telling everyone how many he had accumulated, in a plastic roll. As I remember he had over 50 in the roll when he stopped, but by then [as a result of his promoting the date] the value had nearly tripled.

I have always collected low mintage dates, and have 24 of these:
    AG = 2
    G = 13
    VG = 4
    F = 3
    VF = 2

I still think they are dur for some upward movement, and would still collect them, even at today's prices.

One of my earliest g-04's was gotten in 1999, for $8.

So, yes, it is worth collecting them.

[or hoarding them. :) ]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand by my original contention - it's not a sleeper, as it's very well known, and supply outweighs demand in the low grades. And if some of the hoards of circs are ever released, prices could easily drop.

If I was going to speculate/invest, I would buy a couple certified XF/AU coins, where the populations are far lower, and collector interest is likely to be higher. These would more likely enjoy substantial price appreciation.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

More specifically, buy a PCGS AU58 CAC if one exists. ;)

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar availability to 13,14, and 15 Philly Barber halves. Hoarded in low grades. Readily available in AG-G. Very tough in high grade circ. I have one 13-S dime. An AU58 CAC from Liz Coggan. It was a tough coin to find.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    Similar availability to 13,14, and 15 Philly Barber halves. Hoarded in low grades. Readily available in AG-G. Very tough in high grade circ. I have one 13-S dime. An AU58 CAC from Liz Coggan. It was a tough coin to find.

Yep! Got those too. :)

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    One of my earliest g-04's was gotten in 1999, for $8.

Yep! My records show that the first 1913-S dime that I bought in April 1990, cost me $7.50.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your thread peeked my interest!
    I know I too have a 1913s somewhere deep in my collection, raw. If memory serves me correctly. I think the "S" looks doubled on mine? Gotta go digging now. Lol :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file