Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I am so disappointed

SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
edited January 19, 2022 2:38PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

**See corrected copy below **

The results of my submission that I recently received were so disappointing that I have not looked at the submission since I checked it in over 4 months ago. Now, I understand being disappointed with some grades. I have sent in over 100 submissions to PSA, so I have had my share of disagreements. However, this is the first time I disagree with the majority of a submission.
Let me start from the beginning. Among my PSA Registration sets are 1960 and 1961 Fleer Team Logo Decals and 1961 Fleer World Series Pennants. Always looking to upgrade these sets, about a year and a half ago I found three auctions in a major card company catalog. The description for the lots stated that the owner took the logos out of the wax packs in the 1960's and were immediately put in an envelope. They were not handled again until put up for auction. The scans in the auction did indeed show the logos and pennants had many, many pristine examples. Feeling this was the find of the decade for these kinds of logos, I bid and won all three auctions. I thought this was my best chance to get some high grades including many 10's.
I checked over the logos and pennants when I received them. There were indeed many pristine items. I submitted the best logos and pennants. Except for the off center items, the logos and pennants were centered, had sharp corners, no marks, no creases or bends, good color and sharp focus.
Eleven and a half months later I received my grades. The grades ranged from 3 to 9. Not a single 10. I showed the submission to a couple of card collecting friends of mine. They compared some of the items from the sub to some of the logos and pennants in my sets. They said the 8's I received are better than the 9's in my sets, there is something wrong here.
My friends urged me to write a letter to PSA and explain my plight. I thought I would first post my problem on the PSA forum board. Maybe someone here has an idea about what I can do. I am just devastated by the submission grades and have such an empty feeling.

Registry sets:
1954 Topps BB
1955 Bowman BB
1956 Topps Super BB
1957 Topps BB
1969 Topps BB
1984 Donruss BB
1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run

Comments

• SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭

How do I edit my post to correct it?

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 4:10PM

There should be a circular shaped thingy in the top right hand corner, it looks like a gear, click on that circle shaped gear thing and the option to edit should pop up.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're trying to edit your original post, the circle shaped gear thing is at the top right hand side.

The gear thing just allows me to edit my profile not the post.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Are you the Zodiac killer? :D

Seriously, though, sorry you got such crappy results vs. what you expected. It sucks when that happens, especially when you have to wait a year to get your cards back!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spahnfan said:
    The gear thing just allows me to edit my profile not the post.

Not the gear in the extreme upper right of the webpage, but the gear at the upper right of the post itself.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spahnfan said:
    The results of my submission that I recently received were so disappointing that I have not looked at the submission since I checked it in over 4 months ago. Now, I understand being disappointed with some grades. I have sent in over 100 submissions to PSA, so I have had my share of disagreements. However, this is the first time I disagree with the majority of a submission.

Let me start from the beginning. Among my PSA Registration sets are 1960 and 1961 Fleer Team Logo Decals and 1961 Fleer World Series Pennants. Always looking to upgrade these sets, about a year and a half ago I found three auctions in a major card company catalog. The description for the lots stated that the owner took the logos out of the wax packs in the 1960's and were immediately put in an envelope. They were not handled again until put up for auction. The scans in the auction did indeed show the logos and pennants had many, many pristine examples. Feeling this was the find of the decade for these kinds of logos, I bid and won all three auctions. I thought this was my best chance to get some high grades including many 10's.

I checked over the logos and pennants when I received them. There were indeed many pristine items. I submitted the best logos and pennants. Except for the off center items, the logos and pennants were centered, had sharp corners, no marks, no creases or bends, good color and sharp focus.

Eleven and a half months later I received my grades. The grades ranged from 3 to 9. Not a single 10. I showed the submission to a couple of card collecting friends of mine. They compared some of the items from the sub to some of the logos and pennants in my sets. They said the 8's I received are better than the 9's in my sets, there is something wrong here.

My friends urged me to write a letter to PSA and explain my plight. I thought I would first post my problem on the PSA forum board. Maybe someone here has an idea about what I can do. I am just devastated by the submission grades and have such an empty feeling.

No comment from me, but fixed for those who had trouble reading the OP.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

Thanks Dallas, I appreciate it.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Ugh. Not unlike the '67 Sox stickers I submitted and got back 7's that should be in 9 holders and 8's that could be in 10's. Rookie/newby graders and newer standards employed don't affect modern/ultra modern cards, but all of the softer paper stock (stickers, etc.) are being hammered for flaws that were not penalized before or weren't seen. Maybe new machine grading, who knows. But trust me Spahnfan, I know what you speak of all too well...

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.

I remember someone posting a similar tale of woe with a coin submission. Records should be kept indicating grading norms when it comes to unusual issues like these.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading has changed. PSA was always strict, but now they seem to be on a mission to eliminate 10's.

Coupled with grading fees that are astronomical, I don't understand why people are sending in anything other than very valuable cards.

Look at my 1987 Topps PSA 9's on ebay right now, many would have been 10's in the past.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Grading has changed. PSA was always strict, but now they seem to be on a mission to eliminate 10's.

Coupled with grading fees that are astronomical, I don't understand why people are sending in anything other than very valuable cards.

Look at my 1987 Topps PSA 9's on ebay right now, many would have been 10's in the past.

I second this.

• shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I have had a similar experience. Waited a year for my cards to be returned just to be disappointed in the grades. I have a submission there now that left my house +13 months ago and it is still in grading. I don’t mind the wait time as much as getting them back a year later AND being crushed on the grades. I could deal with the wait times with the old grading standards. On pins and needles with the remaining 800 cards still at PSA.

I hear all of this anecdotal evidence about how strict PSA grading has become, and yet I still see a lot of recently graded cards on eBay that seem like poor examples. I can never figure that out.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Spahnfan said:
    **See corrected copy below **

that happemed to me with my esso coins. I have mint coins that are mint given 6 and 7 and look better than my psa 9's

Then i see some guy on ebay with scuffs and marks on his coins given 8's