Home Q & A Forum
Options

1964 Denver Mint Set With Special Finish

Hello, I was just looking at an old flip case 1964 Denver Mint Set I have. The coins in this set all have a special finish with polishing as though the same or very similar dies were used. They have squared rims, same looking polishing lines with special type finish on both sides.
The set looks ok but does have some handling from mint and or whomever had them prior to me. It almost looks as though struck with slightly modified philly sms dies except the Lincoln cent. I have several other Denver sets but none that have these surfaces which provide a satiny look, not shiny nor grainy.
I was just wondering if anyone had seen or thought same about similar sets or if Denver was just not discovered or something. If I put a 1964 Philly SMS next to this Denver kennedy even with few marks it has, anyone would say they were made the exact same.
I am going to see if there are any identifying marks pointing that they were possibly struck in Philadelphia from same dies. They look pretty close. Why would there be a Denver SMS yet not recognized if same thing??
Satin Finish same as philly, squared rims same as philly, almost exact polishing lines same as philly?? Maybe added mint mark after strike?
I will take photo of other Denver side by side to this one...
I will upload images tomorrow as have to clear up some storage to be able to post them. Be cool to have a Denver SMS Kennedy.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no Denver SMS sets.
    If you are seeing the same thing on every 1964 coin you look at that should tell you what you are seeing is common.
    I have rolls of 1964 halves, dimes & cents and I would bet if you looked at them you would say they are all SMS coins.
    You need to read and learn more about the minting process because you are making yourself look silly.

Your desire to see what you want to see and your imagination is preventing you from accepting facts and learning.

I'm not sure if you drink or do drugs but if you do you should stop.
    If you don't drink or do drugs you should start.
    Whatever you are doing you are doing it wrong and you should change things up a bit. ;)

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

I would say your 1964 Philadelphia coin and your Denver coin were made exactly the same way.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

A visual appearance and "trust me this looks different" isn't enough evidence. You are going to need to research mint documents and find something that indicates it's different. Until then, I'm afraid you don't have much to go on. Try the Newman Numismatic Portal.

https://nnpdev.wustl.edu/

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a buzz kill if ever I felt one. Bazingah! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 11:37AM

(Satin Finish same as philly, squared rims same as philly, almost exact polishing lines same as philly?? Maybe added mint mark after strike?)

"Almost Exact" never holds up in court. People that add mintmarks to coins are called "Counterfeiters" :) .

EDIT: Will wait for the pictures..............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need pictures please

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members