Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1982d small date penny (copper)

I have recently found in my change, a good condition 1982d small date copper penny. I have no idea what i'm doing. tbh, i've only been coin collecting for a few years and this is my first rare find... (ithink) anyways, i went to heritage for a free appraisal. I don't have the cash money to get it graded. (is that even that safe?) and i wanted to tell yall on here for jargon.
Does Heritage sell rare pennies if they aren't graded? Any tips? thanks.

Comments

• Options

Here is some pictures for proof. Some are washed out because of the flash, but the patina is in a few pics.

• Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’ll need a scale in at least tenths of a gram if not hundredths of a gram

We’ll need a weight of this coin in at least tenths of a gram and the 1989 you mentioned in another old thread.

We’ll need pictures of both sides of each

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LijoLijo Posts: 15
    edited January 17, 2022 7:53PM

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    You’ll need a scale in at least tenths of a gram if not hundredths of a gram

We’ll need a weight of this coin in at least tenths of a gram and the 1989 you mentioned in another old thread.

We’ll need pictures of both sides of each

I currently only have a food scale...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

not the best images but it is a 1982 D small date.

unfortunately, the weight of a copper plated zinc cent is 2.5grams more or less and the weight of the copper is 3.11g more or less

if they weigh 2.5 grams, more than likely to food scale will round up to 3 and no one has a definite answer.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Not this scale, i've had several cases in regards to pennies, where if it were zinc it didn't breach the 3g. But i suppose it could happen. :#

• Options

oh and i do apologize for the image quality, it shows up better on my phone, and my laptop does not have good clarity.

• Options

i'll show you a zinc penny picture on the scale...

• Options

hmmm. i'm not sure, apparently my scale is a little too much like you said. I could get a good solid 3 g on the other two, but there are times i could get the same weight on the 1994 penny i was testing... so... in short, though i can get a 3g or a 2g, it's inconsistent. I will definatley need a more sensitive scale... thank you for your input!