Home Q & A Forum
Options

A cent planchet or a discarded metal disc?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2022 12:59PM in Q & A Forum

I found this planchette or disc in a roll of pennies and can't really determine whether it's a metal disc that's been discarded and put in the role of pennies or whether it's a penny planchette. Preciate any idea what it might be.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    those pics are huge!

just some sort of metal disc

The pics being huge - is that good, or would they be better if a little smaller?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better smaller

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Better smaller

Thanks, I'll try to reduce the zoom in the future. As far as the DM4 microscope pics, I prefer those to be bigger to show more detail. Thanks for the critique.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 2:41PM Answer ✓

The 2 last photos give the appearance of what may have been a bust.

There is a chance it's a very worn/damaged/corroded cent that is past the point of recognition.

• Options

Diameter is wrong
    For the weight it is zinc and if a “bust” is worn off the zinc would be showing
    The thickness should be 1.52mm. One can argue that it is worn, but at .9mm vs.1.52mm the weight does not match the proposed wear
    In the second picture concentric circles can be seen with any “memorial” design - where would the concentric circles come from and remain there after “wear”?
    Inside the dark areas on the second picture there is verdigris. If it is supposed to be worn out copper plating, the area would be black corroded zinc

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Diameter is wrong
    For the weight it is zinc and if a “bust” is worn off the zinc would be showing
    The thickness should be 1.52mm. One can argue that it is worn, but at .9mm vs.1.52mm the weight does not match the proposed wear
    In the second picture concentric circles can be seen with any “memorial” design - where would the concentric circles come from and remain there after “wear”?
    Inside the dark areas on the second picture there is verdigris. If it is supposed to be worn out copper plating, the area would be black corroded zinc

I had these thoughts too after measuring and weighing the item. Thanks for your replies.

• Options

Uniform concentric circles that aren’t exposing any zinc? I don’t think so

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "where would the concentric circles come from"

Dryer coin ;)

No idea, I just found the item in a roll of pennies from the bank. It somewhat resembles a cent planchette, but the specs are not there. I'll just have to settle for a metal scrap disc. I can' prove it was ever a planchette. Thanks again for your thoughts. Jon

Answers