Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why was this '74 OPC Seaver slabbed in a sleeve?

reelinintheyearsreelinintheyears Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2022 12:33PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have purchased quite a few '74 OPC baseball cards and have seen many more online, but do not recall having seen one slabbed in a sleeve. Does anyone have any idea why this card would have been slabbed in a sleeve rather than in an appropriately sized holder that would not have required the use of a sleeve in order to prevent it from moving around inside the holder?

Answers

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Maybe oversized card and didn’t fit standard holder?

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I had the same done to an '89 Donruss Griffey. So odd, but I guess offsized.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Whatever the reason, that card is beautiful.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

They ran out of holders that day, so they put it in a 1953 Bowman holder!

• Options

Thanks for the responses. I'm considering bidding on it, but I'd really prefer not to have to look at it through two layers of protective plastic forevermore. I suppose that it's a better outcome than being damaged during the slabbing process.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some cards that fit in normal holders, but the person doing the slabbing decides which is best and sometimes chooses this kind. for instance, I have two of the same kind of card, one in a normal holder and one in one of these. they are usually used for oversized or thick cards, and can be used on a whim at random for any card. usually cards in these sleeved holders move LESS than a standard holder, but can look weird on thicker cards due to them showing more wrinkles. thin card stock cards are fine and I like the clarity of the sleeve.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card. I wouldn't let that prevent me from bidding on it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

This card just sold for $500!

Interestingly enough, a PSA 7 that Probstein sold recently is also in a sleeve. Perhaps this card comes oversized?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    This card just sold for $500!

Interestingly enough, a PSA 7 that Probstein sold recently is also in a sleeve. Perhaps this card comes oversized?

The one that I have was able to be holdered without a sleeve.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

The t/b border appears to be extra large on both sides. That is probably why.

Matt

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happens on occasion. Similar phenomenon w/ graded comics, CGC. Some have what look like stabilizers inside the inner well helping hold a comic in place, but often the same comic is found without. Maybe it's sheet cut like Darrell here but slipped through the cracks ;)