Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Possible bump in the future?

I’ve done this with a 1986 OPC Roy 9 that bumped to 10 but that was in 2017 when PSA was not getting swamped with submissions. Would this Lemieux be worthy of a bump?

Comments

  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

    my idea is that pretty much any 9 could be a 10. I've had a bunch of 9's resubbed to get 10's. it all depends on the grader that day. it all comes down to how much you wanna spend trying. eventually, I think its likely it can. most of my crack and resubs were at the $10 bulk rate. nowadays, you should really wanna be sure. give it a good look over. any 9 can easily be a 10 since the differences between the two could be purely subjective and not as clear cut and definitive.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • @dictoresno said:
    my idea is that pretty much any 9 could be a 10. I've had a bunch of 9's resubbed to get 10's. it all depends on the grader that day. it all comes down to how much you wanna spend trying. eventually, I think its likely it can. most of my crack and resubs were at the $10 bulk rate. nowadays, you should really wanna be sure. give it a good look over. any 9 can easily be a 10 since the differences between the two could be purely subjective and not as clear cut and definitive.

    So true! Seeing the Lemieux OPC getting a lot of love it is so hard to find a high end card without a centering tilt and the few 10s that i have seen have have shown some of that. Depends on the grader. I will keep that in mind. Just so anybody wants to know I did crack and resub a 1980 Rickey originally a 9 hoping for a 10 and came back an 8 ouch! LOL

  • @JoeBanzai said:
    L/R centering not perfect and bottom right corner on reverse prolly keeps it a 9.

    Card is magnificent!

    Thanks! i did actually send this in for a review not too long after the Roy success and they agreed with you.

  • daltexdaltex Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dictoresno said:
    my idea is that pretty much any 9 could be a 10. I've had a bunch of 9's resubbed to get 10's. it all depends on the grader that day. it all comes down to how much you wanna spend trying. eventually, I think its likely it can. most of my crack and resubs were at the $10 bulk rate. nowadays, you should really wanna be sure. give it a good look over. any 9 can easily be a 10 since the differences between the two could be purely subjective and not as clear cut and definitive.

    That's a silly statement/idea. On any scale with gaps as large as an effective 1-20 scale (doubling to eliminate half grades) there is going to be a large number of close calls. There has to be a whole spectrum of, say, 9s from the just made it cards to the just missed the next grade. Let's say that there is as much as 20% of the 8s that could be 9s and 20% of the 9s that could be 8s. I doubt the number is that large, but assume we take all of the cards in the 8-9 area and say that 40% are no doubt 8s and below and 40% no doubt 9s and above and 20% are close enough to the border that they could legitimately go either way. At the low end of that group if you submit maybe ten times you'll get 9 8s and 1 9, except of course you stop submitting as soon as you get it into a 9 holder, so probably more of that 20% resides in a 9 holder.

    So what I'm saying is that there are no doubt 9s that could be 10s on other days, and even 9s that would be 10s 90% of the time, but there are a lot of 9s that are just solid 9s and some that are 8s on a bad day. There are also some 10s that just made it, but many that are very strong. Some 9s can be 10s, and you've shown that, but there are many, many 9s that you could submit all day long and never get a 10, and some that you could submit a dozen more times and never get a 9 again, and the nature of the system means it has to be this way, or grading is completely random and there is no reason to prefer any example to another.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

    @JoeBanzai said:
    L/R centering not perfect and bottom right corner on reverse prolly keeps it a 9.

    Card is magnificent!

    Thanks! i did actually send this in for a review not too long after the Roy success and they agreed with you.

    I have to say it again, that is one magnificent card!

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

    Leave it alone.

    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

    This card looks really nice. It wouldn't look out of place in a psa 10 holder (imho). If it were to get knocked down to an 8 or 8.5 I would question it because it looks better than that (unless there's something there that you must have the card in hand in order to see).

    Now if only PSA offered the 9.5 grade -- this might be eligible for that type of grade.

  • 19591959 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

    Keep it in the 9 holder. centering and who it is will keep it from 10. and if you crack a re-submit..... just don't ever crack a 9 hoping for a 10. with todays new graders and the handling of the cards , you might get an 8.

  • 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that should have been kept in the 9 holder

  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @dictoresno said:
    my idea is that pretty much any 9 could be a 10. I've had a bunch of 9's resubbed to get 10's. it all depends on the grader that day. it all comes down to how much you wanna spend trying. eventually, I think its likely it can. most of my crack and resubs were at the $10 bulk rate. nowadays, you should really wanna be sure. give it a good look over. any 9 can easily be a 10 since the differences between the two could be purely subjective and not as clear cut and definitive.

    That's a silly statement/idea. On any scale with gaps as large as an effective 1-20 scale (doubling to eliminate half grades) there is going to be a large number of close calls. There has to be a whole spectrum of, say, 9s from the just made it cards to the just missed the next grade. Let's say that there is as much as 20% of the 8s that could be 9s and 20% of the 9s that could be 8s. I doubt the number is that large, but assume we take all of the cards in the 8-9 area and say that 40% are no doubt 8s and below and 40% no doubt 9s and above and 20% are close enough to the border that they could legitimately go either way. At the low end of that group if you submit maybe ten times you'll get 9 8s and 1 9, except of course you stop submitting as soon as you get it into a 9 holder, so probably more of that 20% resides in a 9 holder.

    So what I'm saying is that there are no doubt 9s that could be 10s on other days, and even 9s that would be 10s 90% of the time, but there are a lot of 9s that are just solid 9s and some that are 8s on a bad day. There are also some 10s that just made it, but many that are very strong. Some 9s can be 10s, and you've shown that, but there are many, many 9s that you could submit all day long and never get a 10, and some that you could submit a dozen more times and never get a 9 again, and the nature of the system means it has to be this way, or grading is completely random and there is no reason to prefer any example to another.

    I wouldn't say its silly by any means. ive had minsize cards resubmitted multiple times and finally got 10's. ive had plenty of surprising 10's that I figured would be a 9 due to a slightly white corner or slight edge chip. there are tons of cards in PSA 10 holders that an average person would look at be ask how because of blatant damage or being grossly offcenter. ive also had 9's that I resubbed and got lower (more appropriate grades honestly). some 9's are purely subjective. however, alot of my 9's that I kept submitting got 10's eventually when I felt they were extremely strong and I couldn't find any reason why they were 9's. we pay for opinions, and opinions vary. some 9's are clear cut to you and me when we see that one small defect, but to a grader, the overall condition may in their eyes still warrant a 10.

    bottom line with the OP's card. if there is nothing huge that stands out (minute paper loss or fraying on a corner or an indent that can be seen), theres no reason he can't try to get the bump.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • The top edge looks jagged, like it was originally cut with a dull blade.

  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

    @SICKTIGHT311 said:
    The top edge looks jagged, like it was originally cut with a dull blade.

    not sure about hockey cards of this era, but for baseball cards, the rough cut was a hallmark of an OPC card.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • @dictoresno said:

    @SICKTIGHT311 said:
    The top edge looks jagged, like it was originally cut with a dull blade.

    not sure about hockey cards of this era, but for baseball cards, the rough cut was a hallmark of an OPC card.

    OPC hockey would have both clean and rough cuts but people would associate an OPC with a rough cut as an authentic pack pulled card. The obvious sheet cuts were in BGS holders which OPC collectors can easily spot. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭

    @Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that should have been kept in the 9 holder

    Ouch

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

    I prefer the rough cut over smooth edges on OPC. I also like the slightly rough-cut edges on some early 1950’s Topps cards.

  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭

    Yes, it has a chance. Great looking card.



    Thanks,

    David (LD_Ferg)



    1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dictoresno said:

    @daltex said:

    @dictoresno said:
    my idea is that pretty much any 9 could be a 10. I've had a bunch of 9's resubbed to get 10's. it all depends on the grader that day. it all comes down to how much you wanna spend trying. eventually, I think its likely it can. most of my crack and resubs were at the $10 bulk rate. nowadays, you should really wanna be sure. give it a good look over. any 9 can easily be a 10 since the differences between the two could be purely subjective and not as clear cut and definitive.

    That's a silly statement/idea. On any scale with gaps as large as an effective 1-20 scale (doubling to eliminate half grades) there is going to be a large number of close calls. There has to be a whole spectrum of, say, 9s from the just made it cards to the just missed the next grade. Let's say that there is as much as 20% of the 8s that could be 9s and 20% of the 9s that could be 8s. I doubt the number is that large, but assume we take all of the cards in the 8-9 area and say that 40% are no doubt 8s and below and 40% no doubt 9s and above and 20% are close enough to the border that they could legitimately go either way. At the low end of that group if you submit maybe ten times you'll get 9 8s and 1 9, except of course you stop submitting as soon as you get it into a 9 holder, so probably more of that 20% resides in a 9 holder.

    So what I'm saying is that there are no doubt 9s that could be 10s on other days, and even 9s that would be 10s 90% of the time, but there are a lot of 9s that are just solid 9s and some that are 8s on a bad day. There are also some 10s that just made it, but many that are very strong. Some 9s can be 10s, and you've shown that, but there are many, many 9s that you could submit all day long and never get a 10, and some that you could submit a dozen more times and never get a 9 again, and the nature of the system means it has to be this way, or grading is completely random and there is no reason to prefer any example to another.

    I wouldn't say its silly by any means. ive had minsize cards resubmitted multiple times and finally got 10's. ive had plenty of surprising 10's that I figured would be a 9 due to a slightly white corner or slight edge chip. there are tons of cards in PSA 10 holders that an average person would look at be ask how because of blatant damage or being grossly offcenter. ive also had 9's that I resubbed and got lower (more appropriate grades honestly). some 9's are purely subjective. however, alot of my 9's that I kept submitting got 10's eventually when I felt they were extremely strong and I couldn't find any reason why they were 9's. we pay for opinions, and opinions vary. some 9's are clear cut to you and me when we see that one small defect, but to a grader, the overall condition may in their eyes still warrant a 10.

    bottom line with the OP's card. if there is nothing huge that stands out (minute paper loss or fraying on a corner or an indent that can be seen), theres no reason he can't try to get the bump.

    How is this not exactly what I said? If you have a card that is, say, a 9.6 so 90% of the time it will come back a 9 and 10% of the time a 10, then if you're willing to submit it twenty times it is extremely likely you'll get a 10 on one of those first twenty, but of course if you get a 10 on your second, or seventeenth submission, you'll stop submitting. Now if you have a card that is an 8.6, every so often it will come back a 7. As I said, with integer grades, or half integer grades, there will be cards that are strong for the grade and cards that are weak for the grade and even a very few mistakes that would be strong for the next grade up or weak for the next grade down, but these are rare. Grading is so imprecise that we all look to buy cards that are attractive for the grade and few would buy a card, even a graded card, sight unseen.

  • parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

    @Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that should have been kept in the 9 holder

    I see 3 print dots on the front just at a quick glance. Lucky this card got an 8

  • Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

    @Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that should have been kept in the 9 holder

    Are those indentation lines all over top right quadrant?

  • @Jayman1982 said:

    @Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that should have been kept in the 9 holder

    Are those indentation lines all over top right quadrant?

    No, It is from the glare of the photo and the card still being in its clamshell graded card protector. the fisheyes are probably the reason they deemed it to be an 8. it has good centering and corners so i would deem it a high end 8. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Sign In or Register to comment.