Home Sports Talk
Options

The Freezer Bowl

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chargers vs Bengals, 1982, -9 degrees, -37 wind chill, I believe it is the coldest game in NFL history, it is known as The Freezer Bowl.

Comments

• Options

I think the kickers in that game said that when they kicked the football, it felt like kicking a brick because it was so cold, it hurt their foot.

• Options

The Ice Bowl was certainly a cold game, you can see the frozen ice on the field.

• Options

The fans at The Ice Bowl.

• Options

The January 10th, 2016 game between the Seahawks and Vikings, -6 degrees, -25 wind chill.

• Options

The Freezer Bowl talk about how cold it was that day, the wind chill was actually -59 degrees.

• Options

I remember Dan Fouts said he was miserable that day, and that it hurt just to put on his helmet because his ears were so cold.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding work Double D!

Maybe Bills be Pats will make this thread? I’m
    Hearing tons of tickets are available due to Covid and Cold weather

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the Patriots snow plow game? Early 80's I think? That one looked mighty cold as I remember.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

1991 Grey Cup in Winnipeg.

The temperature at kickoff was -16 degrees Celsius (+3 Fahrenheit), making the game the coldest Grey Cup final ever. The 1991 game is, to date, the last Grey Cup completed in daylight.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Outstanding work Double D!

Maybe Bills be Pats will make this thread? I’m
    Hearing tons of tickets are available due to Covid and Cold weather

Yes, I was also reading about plenty of cheap tickets still being available, I started this thread because I'm looking firward to tomorrows game, which is already being advertised by some Patriots fans on Twitter.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched that Bengals charges game on tv in 82. Fun times. My uncle lived in San Diego at the time and won money from a Chargers fan on that game.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 4:59PM

I watched this game too in 1981. Browns vs Raiders divisional playoff game. Kardiac kids the curse of Brian Sipe lol. Another freezer playoff game. -4 degrees, -36 wind chill.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I think this game was in 2017 between the Colts and Bills, it was blizzard conditions.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 6:20PM

• Options

I remember this game in New England against Tennessee, Brady had 6 TDs, 5 of those in the 2nd quarter, as the Patriots destroyed the Titans 59-0, roll the footage!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

To make matters worse in the Freezer Bowl, it was played one week after the Chargers-Dolphins epic in the heat and humidity in Miami.

Steve

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 9:02AM

That's the way football was meant to be played!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

11/30/69
    Bills vs Bengals
    Full blown blizzard. You couldn’t see the players from our end zone seats unless the game was inside the 20. Cincinnati QB dropped back to pass and all the sudden Booker Edgerson has the ball and running towards us for a TD. He stripped the QB and popped out of the blizzard. Very fond memories of my father and I in old War Memorial Stadium better known as the Rock Pile.
    We had to get to games early to shovel off our seats.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely like and prefer games played in the cold outdoors. Mix in the elements and it's all the better. The line of scrimmage looking like an old exhaust pipe with every bit of breath visible.

@doubledragon this was such a great game if you were a Patriots fan.

@doubledragon said:
    I remember this game in New England against Tennessee, Brady had 6 TDs, 5 of those in the 2nd quarter, as the Patriots destroyed the Titans 59-0, roll the footage!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I definitely like and prefer games played in the cold outdoors. Mix in the elements and it's all the better. The line of scrimmage looking like an old exhaust pipe with every bit of breath visible.

@doubledragon this was such a great game if you were a Patriots fan.

@doubledragon said:

Yes, throwback uniforms, snow, and a beatdown, it doesn't get any better than that!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love football played in the bitter cold and snow.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Football was meant to be played by tough guys like the old Green Bay Packers of the 60s.

I am sorry but I have to say most of today’s player could not compete in those days.
    They may as well change the game to flag football or two hand touch.

I love football and played in the early 60s we played in all types of weather. I was not a professional

Does any one recall the days when we played tackle football on sandlot field without equipment?

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience with football was going out for the High School football team. I didn't last very long. A very cold Fall afternoon at the practice field found me almost knocked out. I made an attempt to tackle an on-coming senior running back, he ran right over me...literally. I quickly realized I was much better off chasing the ladies with my season student tickets in the stands. The equipment we had was almost nothing, I'm surprised there weren't more serious injuries.