Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Notes Stuck On Cardboard...

Does anyone know of any tricks on getting these stuck notes off cardboard. They are only stuck in random spots.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 9:20AM

I’m guessing steam, but I would email Nancy and ask for her advice. She will know. Nancy and her daughter are the gold standard for paper restoration.

http://www.polirestoration.com/

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur. They'll steer you right. Good luck and let us know how you fair. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just soak them and dry properly. Moisture put waviness in that paper and moisture can also remove the waviness, with proper drying.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    I would just soak them and dry properly. Moisture put waviness in that paper and moisture can also remove the waviness, with proper drying.

Dry properly???

• Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I’m guessing steam, but I would email Nancy and ask for her advice. She will know. Nancy and her daughter are the gold standard for paper restoration.

http://www.polirestoration.com/

"Hi Gary,

You would have to determine what adhesive was used to adhere the notes to the cardboard.. Once that is known you need to be sure that the inks on the notes are stable in whatever substance is necessary to release the adhesive. It requires a bit of trial and error.

Best,
    Nancy"

• an interesting project.

I have used steam to remove several old notes which were mounted on paper or card over the years. Generally, if the mounting was done prior to the 1980s, or is vintage, the glue used would be similar to office gum, which responds well to removal by steam.

Notes I removed from paper were a set of De La Rue specimens mounted on book pages by De La Rue, probably in the 1930s. A glue stain remained on the reverse of the notes, with no damage to the notes.
    Valuable notes, so I did a bit of research first, learned a lot about glues in the process!

My job was better than the 'professionally removed' (the auction catalogue's description) note from the set which had been removed by the seller prior to the sale as it had been affixed to the reverse of a page with another note mounted on it. The professionally removed note had been moistened and had had the glue scraped off, resulting in damage.

Notes I removed from card were old Irish £1 notes dated 1899 and 1908, which had been mounted for a long time with spots of glue. Glue used was office gum type. Again steam easily did the job.

A more challenging removal was a mounted Irish £1 note, 1892, which had been glued down on its entire surface, again mounted for a long time. Steam again was totally successful.

I would suggest that you test it out on the lease valuable note, by application to the reverse side.