Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Rare Historical Medals & Medallions For Sale

Trends in the market can impact value as certain subject matter becomes topical or sought after for whatever reason, however, the value of a medal is largely dependent on two factors, it’s rarity and it’s condition.

Often the number struck of a particular medal is advertised, and certainly, in the late 19th century very large numbers of commemorative medals were produced for events such as the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria where over 7000 of the official medallion were struck.

However, some medals have only a small issue, and also older medals become rarer as versions are either lost or melted down. The link below is a selection of medals that have been labelled as rare by well-known reference books such as Medallic Illustrations (Spink & Son Ltd) and British Historical Medals by Brown.

Click to discover: https://historicalmedallions.com/collections/rare-medals

Some Medallions from the collection:

1697 Peace of Ryswick By Muller Historical Medallion by P H Muller

1885 Prince Henry And Princess Beatrice Historical Medallion by A Wyon

About Historical Medallions

You may be familiar with my late Aunt, Mrs Neddy Allen who was a numismatist for over 40 years, and had a special interest in medallions related to the City of London. She learnt about the medal business from her late husband, Peter Maundy Allen, and continued to trade well into her 80's. Over the last 15 years, she gradually passed on her knowledge to me and it was the stories behind each of the medallions that I found fascinating.

These historical events shaped our country and many have significance still to this day. Whether it be a gift for someone interested in a special event or something that adds to your collection, owning a medallion is to have a true piece of history to treasure.