Home Sports Talk

Rams embarrassed by 49ers fans presence at Sunday's game

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Rams were a bit embarrassed that so many 49ers fans were at their home game this past Sunday, and Matthew Stafford's wife has asked Rams fans not to sell tickets to Cardinals fans for the upcoming playoff game.

Matthew Stafford's wife Kelly asks Rams fans not to sell tickets to Cardinals fans

Matthew Stafford and the Los Angeles Rams are set to host the division-rival Arizona Cardinals in the NFL Wild Card Playoffs Monday night.

Said matchup was made possible after Los Angeles fell at home to the San Francisco 49ers in Week 18 despite leading 17-0 late in the first half.

The backdrop here was the sea of red that took over SoFi Stadium in Southern California for the game. For all intents and purposes, this acted as a road game for Stafford and Co.

Just listen to the crowd after 49ers rookie cornerback Ambry Thomas ended the game with an interception of Matthew Stafford in overtime.

That’s rather embarrassing. Sure 49ers fans travel well. We’ve seen that on a never-ending loop over the past several seasons. Even then, we’re talking about a state-of-the-art second-year stadium playing host to a legit Super Bowl contender.

Stafford touched on that following Los Angeles’ loss Sunday afternoon.

“We had a chance there at the end of the game. I thought our guys did a good job communicating. It was a tough environment for us to communicate in, really, the whole second half,” Stafford told reporters after the game, via SI.com's Nicholas Cothrel.

The quarterback’s wife, Kelly, is now chiming in. Kelly described the environment her husband had to deal with in Week 18 on her podcast.

“I have never seen so many of the opposing team’s fans at a game. We came from Detroit. There were a lot of good traveling teams there, but that was wild,” Kelly Stafford said. “Matthew was on a silent count, Jimmy Garoppolo was not. It was crazy. It made it very hard for us, because I guess we weren’t expecting to be going silent count. ... My plea. Please don’t sell you (sic) tickets to Arizona fans.”

Matthew Stafford and the Los Angeles Rams hoping for home-field advantage
In the link above, Mrs. Stafford pleaded with Rams fans to take over SoFi Stadium against the Cardinals Monday night. The fact that she compared it to her husband’s time with the Detroit Lions has to be seen as concerning.

The good news here? Arizona Cardinals fans typically don’t travel as well as other teams' fans can. The bad news? It’s not a long drive or plane ride from the Arizona desert to Los Angeles.

It’s going to be highly intriguing to see how the environment is Monday night in Southern California. Matthew Stafford and Co. are currently four-point favorites in what will be the first “Monday Night Football” playoff game in NFL history.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the video of the 49ers fans cheering when Stafford threw the game ending interception.

If it was me, I would want the Cardinals fans to come to the game, bring it on, yell as loud as you can, I want your best shot!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be more embarrassed about losing after building a 17-0 lead

I'm the type of person who wants whatever you're going to throw at me, I want you're best shot, if I can't beat you, then so be it. So if the Cardinals fans want to attend the game, I say let em, bring it on!

edited January 13, 2022 6:29AM

Heck, I refuse to make two trips when I carry groceries inside, I want the groceries to hit me with their best shot!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Stafford's wife is embarrassing her husband and the team. Perhaps she should stick with family matters and let her husband deal with football.
    Play the game, man up and either win it or take the loss and head to Kauai for a few weeks to soothe the pain. Polihale Beach state park would be IDEAL. Having been to this gorgeous place, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this location. This is about as close to heaven as you can get.

Exactly, the point I'm trying to make is, I don't understand these guys like Baker Mayfield and Matthew Stafford with their wives making excuses for them, go out there and man up and stop making excuses. If the visiting fans want to attend the game, let them attend, I'm not going to pin that loss on opposing team fan noise.

Yeah.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 10:52AM

The Rams, at least the Rams management was NOT embarrassed by the presence of 49er fans at the game. Attracting visiting fans to the games was a major part, if not the major part of their marketing strategy to sell season tickets prior to the opening of SoFi Stadium. The overall strategy and the sales pitch they used has not worked out as planned and Rams season ticket holders according to my secret inside source are in, "Revolt Mode." I know I feel that way. The sales strategy DID work out for the 49er game and that was a Godsend for management and season ticket holders. To placate the unhappy season ticket holders, the Rams have announced that the ticket prices for the Rams/Cardinals playoff game will be CHEAPER than for any of the regular season games. !!! At least I've been told that about my tickets so I'm assuming it's true for everyone else. (?) I think the reasoning behind the reduced ticket prices is that management does NOT expect a large turnout of Cardinal fans to be in attendance on Monday night. The bottom line is that Rams Management and the season ticket holders WANT as many fans as possible from the visiting team in attendance.

If anyone wants to go into the dirty little details of it all, Ill do my best to explain it. It is somewhat complicated.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the specifics going on with so-fi, but it sounds like they feel like they can make more money by making it a destination for fans who travel or travellers who just want to go to a game.

edited January 13, 2022 9:45PM

@thisistheshow said:
    I don't know the specifics going on with so-fi, but it sounds like they feel like they can make more money by making it a destination for fans who travel or travellers who just want to go to a game.

You nailed it! Almost. SoFi and the Rams supposedly(?) don't stand to make more money by "making it a destination for fans who travel or travellers who just want to go to the game"........ (yea,right?).....but, the sales pitch was that season ticket buyers should buy EXTRA seats, in a block, and then put the extra seats up for sale on a secondary market, the internet, and sell the extra seats above the regular game ticket price to out of town fans to off -set the expenditure. It hasn't worked out all this season. NEVER. It DID work out for the 49er game. That's why there were so many Niner fans at the game.....the Ram season ticket holders sold their tickets on the internet for a PROFIT to Niner fans. Everyone was happy! ......Not embarrassed in the least!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

You nailed it! Almost. SoFi and the Rams supposedly(?) don't stand to make more money by "making it a destination for fans who travel or travellers who just want to go to the game"........ (yea,right?).....but, the sales pitch was that season ticket buyers should buy EXTRA seats, in a block, and then put the extra seats up for sale on a secondary market, the internet, and sell the extra seats above the regular game ticket price to out of town fans to off -set the expenditure. It hasn't worked out all this season. NEVER. It DID work out for the 49er game. That's why there were so many Niner fans at the game.....the Ram season ticket holders sold their tickets on the internet for a PROFIT to Niner fans. Everyone was happy! ......Not embarrassed in the least!

@hydrant I went to be bed feeling good, confident in the fact that I "nailed it". Now I see an edit that begins with "almost".🤣

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to sell my 49er tickets to Harrah's Sports Book. They paid well. I could care less who sat in my seats. It was usually N.Y Giants fans on Monday night. I hoped they enjoyed themselves.

Stafford's wife needs to go back inside and resume baking cookies.

Have a nice day
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

All Stafford has to do is play well, get a lead and throw another touchdown. Nothing quiets a crowd better than being down 17-0

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited January 14, 2022 7:31PM

@2dueces said:
    All Stafford has to do is play well, get a lead and throw another touchdown. Nothing quiets a crowd better than being down 17-0

Hey, 2dueces....the Niners CAN and WILL beat the Rams seven ways from Sunday every time! It doesn't matter what Stafford does or doesn't do. Shanahan has got Mcvay in his pocket. He reads him like a book. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!...... My money is on the Niners.

edited January 14, 2022 8:36PM

Just a follow up about the Rams being "EMBARRASSED" about all the Niner fans at the game last Sunday......The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant has been getting calls about it all week....the last one about 2 minutes ago from her cousin in Sacramento who went to the game who is a Niner fan......LISTEN UP my friends........ The Ram season ticket holders sold their tickets to Niner fans.....FOR A LOT OF MONEY!!!!.....good for them! Niners/Rams ....it's a California thing! We don't care. Go Rams...Go Niners!!!!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@2dueces said:

Hey, 2dueces....the Niners CAN and WILL beat the Rams seven ways from Sunday every time! It doesn't matter what Stafford does or doesn't do. Shanahan has got Mcvay in his pocket. He reads him like a book. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!...... My money is on the Niners.

That division is really quirky. Shanahan has McVays # and McVay has Kingsburys #.
    I’d bet the farm on the Rams this weekend.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.