Home U.S. Coin Forum

1798 Large Cent Attribution...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone... I'm trying to mate up this coin with images from Coin Facts and I'm getting nowhere quick. I'm pretty certain it's the 2nd Hair Style, but I can't mate up the die break characteristics wthe ones from the web site. ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated. Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 7:42PM

For fun, I tried comparing with the photos on CoinFacts,
    and I believe I found your obverse die cracks in the AU-55 photo above.
    The reverse does have a matching clash mark at OF, but that may be fairly common.
    S-185.
    Did you stop short of that one?
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1798-1c-s-185-2nd-hair-style-bn/36122

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 8:14PM

S185 it is, IMO.
    Late die state, 5/6?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

For fun, I tried comparing with the photos on CoinFacts,
    and I believe I found your obverse die cracks in the AU-55 photo above.
    The reverse does have a matching clash mark at OF, but that may be fairly common.
    S-185.
    Did you stop short of that one?
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1798-1c-s-185-2nd-hair-style-bn/36122

Thanks!... I didn't look close enough at the neck...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file