Home U.S. Coin Forum

1798 Large Cent Attribution...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone... I'm trying to mate up this coin with images from Coin Facts and I'm getting nowhere quick. I'm pretty certain it's the 2nd Hair Style, but I can't mate up the die break characteristics wthe ones from the web site. ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated. Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 8:42PM

For fun, I tried comparing with the photos on CoinFacts,
    and I believe I found your obverse die cracks in the AU-55 photo above.
    The reverse does have a matching clash mark at OF, but that may be fairly common.
    S-185.
    Did you stop short of that one?
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1798-1c-s-185-2nd-hair-style-bn/36122

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 9:14PM

S185 it is, IMO.
    Late die state, 5/6?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

For fun, I tried comparing with the photos on CoinFacts,
    and I believe I found your obverse die cracks in the AU-55 photo above.
    The reverse does have a matching clash mark at OF, but that may be fairly common.
    S-185.
    Did you stop short of that one?
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1798-1c-s-185-2nd-hair-style-bn/36122

Thanks!... I didn't look close enough at the neck...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file