Home Autographs Forum
Options

Autographs in Mainstream Story

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too often we autograph collectors have a story hit the mainstream media unlike coins & comic books.

"Woman Sent Letters to 350 Celebrities in 2001, This Is What She Got Back"

https://www.newsweek.com/tiktok-video-celebrity-autographs-folders-viral-kim-hoover-1667993

Comments

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. A LOT more people signed ttm in 2001 than they do now. However, still a lot of secretarials and fakes even back in 2001, which was just a few years before I really started collecting (I sent my first ttm requests in 1998 but didn’t actually consider myself a ttm collector until 2005).

I can’t wait to hear how her update goes and if her success rate is much lower than in 2001. I suspect ttm has gotten a LOT tougher. I started doing ttm again last year (probably only sent about 10-20) and have yet to receive a single response, including fakes. I think there is a much lower response rate, because 90% of the time I got some type of response back in 2005-2011 when I regularly did ttm. Now it seems like they won’t even send printed responses, never mind authentic. I will see if 2022 brings better luck. I could definitely still hear back from some I sent in 2021 and due to the pandemic they haven’t touched their mail yet. Fingers crossed they go through it at some point, especially if Covid-19 changes to endemic status.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a letter from filmmaker Ken Burns this week that was in reply to a letter I sent him five months ago. He specifically mentioned COVID as the reason for the delay.

So, replies might still trickle in.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I got a letter from filmmaker Ken Burns this week that was in reply to a letter I sent him five months ago. He specifically mentioned COVID as the reason for the delay.

So, replies might still trickle in.

Glad to hear that. That gives me hope. :)