Playoffs:
9-7 in 26 games / 154 innings pitched
2.51 ERA
133 strikeouts
3 World Series rings

Someone on twitter posted this about his chances:
Marco Scola
@Marco_Scola
33 pitchers in history have won 200+ games, struck out 2,400+ batters, and had a career ERA less than 3.70. 24 of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.
However, only three of that group have won three World Series: Curt Schilling, Don Drysdale ... and Jon Lester.

Another quote,although I don't know how accurate it is,said he had the lowest post season era of any pitcher with 150+ innings.

So,does he get in? Yes/No?

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I lost interest in him and the rest of the fried chicken and beer SOX of 2011

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    No, I lost interest in him and the rest of the fried chicken and beer SOX of 2011

All that drama was so overblown IMO,no one cared when the 2004 team was taking shots before each playoff game because they ultimately won. Going 4-1 w/1.56era in the 2013 playoffs,including 2-0 in WS, more than made up for it anyways,at least in my eyes. The guy was money when it counted most going 5-1 in WS starts.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and how much a factor in being the ace on that first Cubs title in 100+ years but it obviously didn't help Schilling much in that same type of scenario so who knows.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

All that drama was so overblown IMO,no one cared when the 2004 team was taking shots before each playoff game because they ultimately won. Going 4-1 w/1.56era in the 2013 playoffs,including 2-0 in WS, more than made up for it anyways,at least in my eyes. The guy was money when it counted most going 5-1 in WS starts.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and how much a factor in being the ace on that first Cubs title in 100+ years but it obviously didn't help Schilling much in that same type of scenario so who knows.

I could see him getting in eventually. You never know. But he is definitely a post season legend and a Red Sox legend.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Good Starting Pitcher, HOF ehh.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way Lester belongs in the hall of fame is after Schilling and Pettitte go in!

Steve

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Schilling, his is the absolute most egregious example of the writers' utter incompetence, and complete disregard and shirking of their responsibilities to elect members into the hall of fame!

What they have done/are doing to Schilling should be the final straw in removing them from the election process for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    The only way Lester belongs in the hall of fame is after Schilling and Pettitte go in!

Steve

I think you meant Virgil Trucks and Steve Rogers.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jon Lester: very good pitcher. Many better pitchers not in, few worse pitchers in. He's the type of player who could get in via the Baines-Oliva-Kaat route, that is have a bunch of ex-teammates on the Committee one year. Also, see Frisch years. He wouldn't be a Catfish Hunter-Jack Morris level travesty, but there isn't a lot of reason to choose him over Felix Hernandez, David Price, or Adam Wainwright.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a hall of famer for me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 4:11AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I don’t know what you mean by “Overblown”.

They lost an 11 game lead in September to the Yankees

I wouldn’t have cared if they were getting fat eating McDonald’s and drinking shots of bottom shelf whiskey while running cheap hookers from Dorchester through the clubhouse as long as they made the playoffs, I mean there is no excuse to lose an 11 game lead in September, if you do everything should be questioned and ridiculed.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Lester fan. Chomping on chicken and downing brewskies while his team his out there busting ass, is BS to me. You are either a teammate or you ain't. Time for chewing on groceries is for after the game, not

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I don’t know what you mean by “Overblown”.

They lost an 11 game lead in September to the Yankees

I wouldn’t have cared if they were getting fat eating McDonald’s and drinking shots of bottom shelf whiskey while running cheap hookers from Dorchester through the clubhouse as long as they made the playoffs, I mean there is no excuse to lose an 11 game lead in September, if you do everything should be questioned and ridiculed.

Overblown in the sense that the sports media in this area is beyond toxic and once they decide to push their agenda it always trickles down to the fanbase that magnifies it by 100X. That team just wasn't that good in reality so let's all blame the guys sitting in the clubhouse on their offday from pitching. Stuff like that happens all the time in all sports. Bird & McHale's clubhouse beer drinking was legendary but they won so it was ok. We've also had the Fortnite crew on the Sox not to long ago that was a huge issue only until that team got over the hump and won a WS.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virgil Trucks... now there is a name I do not recall hearing here before... Lets add Ed Lopat or was his career too short?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Speaking of Schilling, his is the absolute most egregious example of the writers' utter incompetence, and complete disregard and shirking of their responsibilities to elect members into the hall of fame!

What they have done/are doing to Schilling should be the final straw in removing them from the election process for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Steve,
    How do you really feel? Lol.
    I agree with you completely.
    Guys that never got laid shouldn't be judging guys that did.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Virgil Trucks... now there is a name I do not recall hearing here before... Lets add Ed Lopat or was his career too short?

Mark Fidrych

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Sure, we can add the Junkman to the list. Since we're talking about Jon Freaking Lester, there's plenty of room.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.