Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fakes

Question for you veterans. When you are looking at a graded card is there any way to identify reprints vs actual cards? Or do you just have to trust the grading company did its job in the first place. Specifically, I'm looking at 1976 Walter Payton Rookies... maybe its just because I'm looking at them now, but there seem to be a lot reprints floating around out there. Appreciate any advice and tips you have for me!

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cubsfan71 said:
    Question for you veterans. When you are looking at a graded card is there any way to identify reprints vs actual cards? Or do you just have to trust the grading company did its job in the first place. Specifically, I'm looking at 1976 Walter Payton Rookies... maybe its just because I'm looking at them now, but there seem to be a lot reprints floating around out there. Appreciate any advice and tips you have for me!

If you're looking at a card slabbed by a reputable company, there is a guarantee. If you're looking at a card slabbed by a bottom tier company, say one not in the top ten, all bets are off.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

IMO, if the company "grades" reprints, like GMA does, it virtually assures buyers that NONE of their cards are worth buying

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

And just to make things even more interesting you've got to watch out for fake PSA slabs as well. Here's some useful info: https://allvintagecards.com/history-of-psa-flips/

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

There are plenty of fakes out there as I am a victim of some. It has made me leary of buying complete vintage sets unless I can inspect them first OR Know the seller .

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

There are plenty of fakes out there as I am a victim of some. It has made me leary of buying complete vintage sets unless I can inspect them first OR Know the seller .

Yup, I've seen some really good fake 1960's Mantle cards on eBay. They're always "got this at an estate sale, so I'm not sure if it's real" story. I report them, but eBay could care less.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

There is so much of this garbage out there, some on ebay, but on facebook marketplace especially. Sports Dream Arizona literally has hundreds of different reprints and these and other bozos think that putting "reprint" or "rp" absolves them of anything. I miss the old days when Fleer had teams of people tracking down those selling this stuff.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY