Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any adhesive experts out there?

I have acquired some pages from an iconic German vintage soccer set, and I want to extract the stickers from the pages with as little damage as possible. Stickers were glued in circa 1938, and some are REALLY well stuck all the way around. If you have experience with this, please do send over any tips.

Example pic below. This is all for PC btw - no intention to sell. Thx.

Comments

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I’ve had success removing some glues/tape from ticket stubs, boxes etc. Using a product called Bestine…which is essentially Heptane, a solvent. Use it liberally to soak the tape area until it starts to soften and separate…don’t rush it. Dissipates quickly and leaves no trace. Amazon carries it…follow safety instructions as you don’t want to be breathing this in.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

You should leave them in the book.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fmclaug11 said:
    I’ve had success removing some glues/tape from ticket stubs, boxes etc. Using a product called Bestine…which is essentially Heptane, a solvent. Use it liberally to soak the tape area until it starts to soften and separate…don’t rush it. Dissipates quickly and leaves no trace. Amazon carries it…follow safety instructions as you don’t want to be breathing this in.

Does the chemical smell from the bestine eventually fade away?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@fmclaug11 said:

Would this work on 8x10s that are stuck on glass? I have two autos stuck on glass from a lot I purchased. Want to get those off and put em in sleeves in a binder. Thanks!

• Options

From my experience yes…it evaporates very quickly and leaves no trace I can perceive including smell. It doesn’t work as well on some glues I’ve tried it on (especially some old glues that dry extra hard/brittle), but for others it works really well. I’d say I’ve had 50/50 success over a small sample size of scrapbooks etc.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭

if you do not care about the book and only care about the stickers one option would be just to cut the stickers out of the album.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

I don't do this with cards. I work on other stuff that requires glues to be broken down sometimes. Stereo speakers. I use alcohol first because it's gentle. Then step up to acetone if I need a little more kick. I would guess that most products that do this kind of work are made up primarily of one of those two components. I don't have to worry about staining most of the time. You should test on something you don't care about. Somebody above said go slow. That's really the most important part. Go really really slow. I use a syringe to go drop at a time. Wait a long time between drops. Don't let anything get real wet. Things can be moist without looking moist. Moisture is your enemy.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I've had good luck taking off old address labels from old sports illustrated magazines with a hair dryer. Left virtually no sign. I'm not saying the above ideas don't work, never tried them, but I'd be leery of the after effects of touching paper with anything liquid...won't that make the stickers wavy looking like they got wet?

• Options

Like CardGeek, I also haven’t done it with cards but I wouldn’t hesitate if I wanted a card out of a scrapbook etc. However, counter to what Cardgeek recommended, I usually have to liberally saturate the item on the paper to get the solvent into the glue layer between the paper items. I’m not sure about other solvents, but with Heptane/Bestine even when the item is fully saturated it will evaporate quickly and be totally dry within a very short time (like 30 mins or even less), like it was never there.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    You should leave them in the book.

I considered that, but I don't intend to display them in that way. I will eventually also acquire a full album as well, but I want to have a complete loose set first. These are just a few individual pages that a seller took out of an album, so it's not as if I'm already destroying something complete and beautiful!

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I would try Ronson lighter fuel. I am not joking. It is an old method used by many toy collectors to take price stickers off of boxes and carded figures. Similar to rubbing alcohol since it dissolves quickly. The thing with ronson is it will not take paint off (alcohol might). Use sparingly at first and practice, but it works with virtually no consequence.

https://www.amazon.com/Ronson-ounce-Ronsonol-Lighter-Fuel/dp/B0017X1NGO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3LCO5TRLELD8C&keywords=Lighter+fuel&qid=1642005039&sprefix=lighter+fuel,aps,190&sr=8-4

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Try Dick Towle.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2022 3:39PM

@Seaverfan said:
    Try Dick Towle.

COVID Claimed him in Dec 2021

https://www.facebook.com/Gonewiththestain1/

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2022 5:02PM

Years ago i purchased an O Pee Chee 4 in 1 booklet which came out in 1969 with a series of Montreal Canadiens stamps which were all stars glued to the paper i decided to let the pages soak in warm water and when the stamps became free from the paper they were placed on a paper towel and when they were dried off they went o PSA to be evaluated none were rejected.