Home Sports Talk
Options

the circumstances surrounding this Chargers-Raiders game are unbelievable

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to OT.

whoever wins gets in the playoffs.

loser out.

if they tie, they both get in. Pittsburgh out.

in theory, both teams could collude their way into the playoffs. then Mike Tomlin would take out about 200 people.

and on top of that, the outcome of this game decides our season-long contest.

unreal.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This game is beyond nuts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mike Tomlin just sent Rich Bisaccia a friend request on Facebook

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why in the world did SD call a timeout?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2022 10:57PM

@grote15 said:

It was 3rd down and 4 with :38 seconds left at the 39. I'm sure Staley didn't want to see the Raiders run the clock down to 2 seconds and try a 56 yard FG as time expired with no consequences if he missed. If the Raiders don't pick up the first down and there are 32 seconds left on the clock they don't try the long FG as a miss gives the ball to the Chargers at the 46 with 28 seconds and a time out. I believe that was the thought process

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2022 10:59PM

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

It was 3rd down and 4 with :38 seconds left at the 39. I'm sure Staley didn't want to see the Raiders run the clock down to 2 seconds and try a 56 yard FG as time expired with no consequences if he missed. If the Raiders don't pick up the first down and there are 30 seconds left on the clock they don't try the long FG as a miss gives the ball to the Chargers at the 46 with 28 seconds and a time out. I believe that was the thought process

mark

That is an interesting take though it sure seemed like the Raiders were content to let time run out there. It almost seemed like after SD called TO, the Raiders decided they were going to stick them instead.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2022 11:06PM

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

It was 3rd down and 4 with :38 seconds left at the 39. I'm sure Staley didn't want to see the Raiders run the clock down to 2 seconds and try a 56 yard FG as time expired with no consequences if he missed. If the Raiders don't pick up the first down and there are 30 seconds left on the clock they don't try the long FG as a miss gives the ball to the Chargers at the 46 with 28 seconds and a time out. I believe that was the thought process

mark

That is an interesting take though it sure seemed like the Raiders were content to let time run out there.

I think they would tried a long FG FWIW. I do think the Raiders were content with running the ball. If they don't pick up the first down the game does probably end in a tie. No way they try a long FG and risk putting the Chargers in a position to win with a miss. . The problem is the Chargers couldn't make the play on third down. Any ways I'd be shocked if that wasn't the thought process of Staley

Happy New Year Tim!

m

• Options

Happy new year, Mark! Definitely one of the more surreal finishes I've ever seen!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 11:43PM

i would have paid money to see Mike Tomlin's face as the clock ticked down to zero

just imagine if the Raiders had allowed it to run out :D

edit: just found it

• Options

• Options
    edited January 10, 2022 12:25AM

^^^^^

I saw that and thought the same thing. FYI I LOVE Austin Eckler

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I just read the OP and that was crazy!!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be surprised if the Chargers don't fire their boy coach.
    He's like a kid playing computer football, go for it on every 4th down.
    But on your own 18, haha what a moron. Do hope the Chargers keep him though,
    Chargers would have made the playoffs with a competent coach because they would have beat KC twice.
    Coach Staley gave the Chiefs the win in their second game because he kept going for it on fourth down
    and not making it. Now he gives the Raiders the win by going for it on his own 18 yard line and
    by calling time out when the Raiders were going to run out the clock.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom line ........Justin Herbert is a hell of a quarterback.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

He was incredible!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@Hydrant said:

He was incredible!

It was like he was Justin Credible...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I would be surprised if the Chargers don't fire their boy coach.
    He's like a kid playing computer football, go for it on every 4th down.
    But on your own 18, haha what a moron. Do hope the Chargers keep him though,
    Chargers would have made the playoffs with a competent coach because they would have beat KC twice.
    Coach Staley gave the Chiefs the win in their second game because he kept going for it on fourth down
    and not making it. Now he gives the Raiders the win by going for it on his own 18 yard line and
    by calling time out when the Raiders were going to run out the clock.

He should have been fired immediately following that Raiders debacle