Home Q & A Forum
Options

1971 P Kennedy No Copper Edge

dayvamp2003dayvamp2003 Posts: 1
edited January 9, 2022 4:47AM in Q & A Forum

My Mother had me look over some Kennedy's and a 1971 P caught my eye right away.
I suspect that it may be struck in silver as it has much of the original luster and there is not so much as a tinge of copper seen on the edge.
What weight should I be looking for in a wrong metal type error like this ?
I have done "some" looking around in videos and I doubt it is a wrong planchet type such as the struck on quarter type.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dayvamp2003 said:
    My Mother had me look over some Kennedy's and a 1971 P caught my eye right away.
    I suspect that it may be struck in silver as it has much of the original luster and there is not so much as a tinge of copper seen on the edge.
    What weight should I be looking for in a wrong metal type error like this ?
    I have done "some" looking around in videos and I doubt it is a wrong planchet type such as the struck on quarter type.

Its highly unlikely, that you have a coin struck on a 40% silver planchet. 40% planchets were only used in San Francisco, not Philly. There are some 1971-D 40% known but that's because San Francisco sent rejected clad planchets to Denver for use as regular coinage and a few 40% planchets were stuck in the totes. San Francisco never sent planchets to Philly

Weight won't give you the answer, since the tolerances overlap

Copper Nickel Clad = 10.886 - 11.794 grams
    40% silver clad = 11.100 - 11.900 gms

Easiest way to check is to find a jeweler, coin shop, or we buy gold place that has a handheld XRF gun. The 40% planchets are also clad, but the outer layers are 80% silver, so if you don't see silver, its normal

Also, It's possible that the copper core isn't showing because the coin is plated after it left the mint, or a dull punch used during blanking caused the ductile metal to smear and cover the copper core. Both of these are much more likely than being struck on a 40% planchet.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Answers