1982 Half Balboa:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options

Thats incredibly cool

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars Nice set of dies. Are they a proof set?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I think they struck some limited issue coins - possibly the infamous 0.400 gold OMS Piefort strikes of that year as a few appear to have a gold colored residue in the devices. I do NOT have a complete set. I wish I could find a jeweler with XRF or maybe at the next Baltimore show??

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is too darn cool.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Franklin mint was doing sets for collectors during that era, wonder it it could be the source of the dies?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2022 4:25PM

No, these are either Canadian or US mint - I think the former is what I recall. The FM coins of this era look different and have the ever-present monogram. In the 2017 sale of some of the Richard Stuart coins, Heritage says it was the US mint. And there are some spurious overstrikes of US coins of different denominations, so maybe it is the US mint through 1982 and Canada after that as far as currency.
    Franklin mint struck collector coins and "currency" coins through 1985 & will try to post a couple if I can later...