Home Sports Talk

Joe Burrow - The next Tom Brady

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2022 12:59PM in Sports Talk

Excellent article on Joe Burrow and Rex Ryan says Joe Burrow is the next Tom Brady.

Joe Burrow is Absolutely a Top 5 NFL Quarterback ... For Now

When the Cincinnati Bengals selected Joe Burrow with the first overall pick, they hoped he'd one day develop into an elite NFL quarterback capable of carrying a scarred franchise back into the postseason. One could make the argument that it took less than two years for that dream to become a reality. The LSU product has been the talk of football over the past two weeks as he's posted historically great performances to capture the AFC Central crown.

In an eight-day stretch he threw for 971 yards and eight touchdowns without a turnover. He's the only player ever with back-to-back games of 400-plus yards, four touchdowns and zero picks. His right arm explodes with big play after big play and his last turnover came in Week 13.

Dan Orlovsky spoke for the group this morning on Get Up, pointing out that the sophomore signal-caller is a Top-5 quarterback in the league. Already. A place he's perfectly capable of staying for years to come. Or, just as reasonably, a place he could depart next week.

Things change drastically week-to-week in the NFL, which at some points feels like is drawing game results at random like Scrabble players rummaging around in a bag. Burrow has changed the conversation by doing unprecedented things when they matter most. And while no one is less surprised than yours truly, it might be worth pumping the brakes on making any huge proclamations about his permanent place in the pecking order based on a larger body of evidence.

Entering the season, there were three quarterbacks head and shoulders above all others: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That continuity continues. What we've seen over the past few months is an ever-shifting tier below that consisting of Burrow, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford, Justin Herbert and, if you squint hard enough, Carson Wentz. Where the fall on the weekly rankings varies on performance and availability.

Every single one of these players has had some ups and downs. Some have been sidelined completely or noticeably hampered by injury. Some have looked like world-beaters on Sunday and then dreadful the next Thursday. Such is life for every team that doesn't have the proven consistency of Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes — and even the most ardent Kansas City Chiefs fan may have had some doubts during this year's valleys.

One regular season week remains as appetizer for the playoffs. Every quarterback mentioned in this post except Jackson has a chance to stake their claim to the No. 4 or No. 5 spot. We lament how thin talent is at the position and it remains a real problem that competent backups are few and far between. And that spot starters with no name recognition do little to change that when given the opportunity due to COVID lists or injury.

But damn, it's pretty exciting to realize how talented and dynamic that second tier moves and shakes. On any given day, any of them can be the best in the league. Smarter football minds than mine can tell you how this Top-10 stacks up with those of the past but if the younger crop meets expectations, we could conceivably look back and marvel just how good the top third of the league's quarterbacks were and how much they challenged each other.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rex Ryan says Joe Burrow is the next Tom Brady.

Tom Brady's successor? Joe Burrow could be it, says Rex Ryan

The current Tampa Bay
    Buccaneers quarterback will go down in the NFL history books, that is of no doubt, but can the Cincinnati Bengals man replace him?

Joe Burrow threw his Cincinnati Bengals into this year's playoffs as AFC champions, as they took care of the Kansas City Chiefs in exhilarating fashion on Sunday. A 10-3 final quarter gave the Bengals a 34-31 win, with Burrows winning the battle with his opposite number, Patrick Mahomes, throwing 446 to 259 completed yards.

Burrow a reminder of Brady:

It was billed ahead of the game a test between the two star quarterbacks but Burrow has since been compared to one of the greatest of all time, a QB who was delivering his own Tampa Bay Buccaneers there own very late triumph.

"He reminds me of Tom Brady," were the opening words from former NFL head coach Rex Ryan following the win.

"I've went against Tom Brady more than any other coach. That's who this kid is. This is a higher killer. And when you see him right there, he's got it all.

"And when the Bengals came out and I said take him one - even though I like Herbert better - I'll take him one.

"Why? He's a local kid and he's a leader. This dude right here is going to take your whole football team and say, 'you know what, let's go!'

And during Ryan's chat on ESPN, he was also putting the Bengals in the hat for a potential Super Bowl crown.

"Can they beat anybody? Yeah, because of this guy. This guy is amazing."

Oh, and it wasn't like Ryan was just jumping on Burrow now. Check out his almost identical call back in October of last year.

Burrow breaks Bengals' single-game passing record
    Last week Burrow made franchise history after completing 37 of 46 passes for 525 yards in the 41-21 victory against the Baltimore Ravens. It was a new Bengals record for passing yards in a single game and included four touchdowns with no interceptions as the Bengals claimed a big AFC North win, setting them up for the Chiefs' scalp.

The second year QB's effort was the fourth most passing yards in a game in NFL history, and he also became the fourth player in NFL history to have 500 pass yards, four pass touchdowns and zero interceptions in a game, joining Derek Carr, Ben Roethlisberger and Y.A. Tittle.

Burrow broke the record previously held by Boomer Esiason, who threw for 490 yards in an overtime game against the Los Angeles Rams in October 1990.

After the game, the 25-year-old claimed that he was not thinking about the finer details of his own statistics and was just focused on doing what it took to win the game.

"You know, I really don't think about the yards too much," said Burrow after his history-making performance. "Whatever it takes to win the game. Today, it took throwing for 525 yards."

He also admitted that the record-breaking throw to Joe Mixom for 52-yards went against the wishes of coach Zac Taylor, who had told Burrow not to scramble. He fled the pocket and threw deep to running back Mixon, who caught it for a significant gain inside the final two minutes of the fourth quarter.

"I knew I wasn't supposed to do it, but we went out there and did it anyway," Burrow added.

Wide receiver Tee Higgins also excelled against the Ravens (12 receptions for 194 yards and two touchdowns), and credited Burrow for his own showing, saying post-game: "When he's on fire like that, all your job is to do is get open and he's going to find you."

The Bengals are going to be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

I was just on ebay poking around and the prices on Joe Burrow cards are getting pretty high, this is tge nost expensive Joe Burrow card on the bay right now. How much is it you ask? Try $50,000 big daddy!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will only say this and I said it last year, also, prior to his injury --- he has a bad habit of holding the ball too long. I don't think/know if he can be coached out of that but I hope he can or he'll be injured again. that almost happened yesterday. aside from that he hasn't showed many holes in his game, though he has been streaky with Int's. the Bengals have managed to arrive at a good place at the right time. they seem solid at RB, WR, and QB, so they can spend whatever cap space they have and draft picks on two things --- offensive lineman and defense.

even though Cincy is a rival of the Browns it is fun watching anyone put a thumping on the Ravens. :p

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I will only say this and I said it last year, also, prior to his injury --- he has a bad habit of holding the ball too long. I don't think/know if he can be coached out of that but I hope he can or he'll be injured again. that almost happened yesterday. aside from that he hasn't showed many holes in his game, though he has been streaky with Int's. the Bengals have managed to arrive at a good place at the right time. they seem solid at RB, WR, and QB, so they can spend whatever cap space they have and draft picks on two things --- offensive lineman and defense.

even though Cincy is a rival of the Browns it is fun watching anyone put a thumping on the Ravens. :p

The Bengals are very easy to root for

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I am amazed at how calm and confident Burrow is, his swagger, his whole demeanor.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rex Ryan is an idiot. Plain and simple.

I like Burrow and wouldn’t mind seeing Cincy win one but let’s get him into playoff game #1 before we give him a gold jacket.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 2:19PM

@keets said:
    I will only say this and I said it last year, also, prior to his injury --- he has a bad habit of holding the ball too long.

Yes, I've thought that too. Kind of like a quarterback who plays for the Rams (and then throws pick 6 interception)... But Burrows has got a couple of pretty good games under his belt lately.....I'd love to see them in the BIG ONE.......he's hot right now.....when it counts.......by the way......Cincinnati is my favorite town in the whole U.S.A......good memories. Ohio team, keets.......If it can't be the Browns.........GO BENGALS! ......who would have thought?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think for any QB to be considered the Brady heir apparent then that guy has to win some (plural) SBs first before even getting mentioned in the same conversation as TB12. I would say Joe Burrow isn't even remotely close to being that guy yet no matter how great his stats have been lately.

edited January 3, 2022 5:06PM

Erikthredd, I agree with you about Burrows.....but.....wouldn't it be fun to see Cincinnati in the Super Bowl?..... The Underdog....I hope it happens!!!!

P S. Josh Allen is one strong California Central Valley boy! We raise em' big in the Golden State!...Brady?.....Rodgers?? It's the weather! I'm pulling for both those kids.....Burrows or Allen! Let the best man win!!! Upset the apple cart!!!! Bills....or....Bengals! Oh yea!!! 🏈 🏆

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too soon to call him the next Tom Brady for sure but.....................
    that was one of the most impressive throwing displays I've seen in a while, why did it have to be against KC? :'(
    The Chiefs secondary sucked, but when they actually had receivers covered Burrow was completing passes anyway,
    dropping it in on them so only the receiver had a chance to catch them.
    If you're questioning how good he has been this year, check out his yards per completion or yards per attempt
    and then check his completion percentage. I think he is Number 1 in all those categories.
    In a nutshell he's going deep a lot and completing over 70% of his passes.

By the way why do they pick the pro bowl team when there are several games left anyway?
    Of course now Burrow definitely belongs on the pro bowl team, and why is Lamar Jackson on the team
    when he hasn't played in several weeks.
    I know a lot of you have said the pro bowl selections mean nothing and now I believe you its just
    stupid to pick the team while the regular season is still in progress.

Oh, the Pro Bowl has become a joke, I don't even watch it anymore, the players don't even play hard because of fear of injury, and they just clown around. I still remember that year when Drew Brees's kids were fighting on the sidelines.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Brady is a/the master of getting rid of the ball and living to play another down.

In his first year starting, the year of the Patriot's first SB win and his second year in the league, Brady held onto the ball on a play too long. Belichick talked to him after the game, and told him that he couldn't do things like that if he wanted to really succeed long term. I feel like this particular play had a big impact on how Brady developed his game going forward.

https://youtu.be/M4OTH0pddv4

edited January 3, 2022 6:16PM

B> @doubledragon said:

Oh, the Pro Bowl has become a joke, I don't even watch it anymore, the players don't even play hard because of fear of injury, and they just clown around. I still remember that year when Drew Brees's kids were fighting on the sidelines.

Best post EVER...DD! I'm cracking up......The Lovely Mrs Hydrant blessed our family with four boys.....I can relate to that picture!!!!! KATY BAR THE DOOR!!! 🤷

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Erikthredd, I agree with you about Burrows.....but.....wouldn't it be fun to see Cincinnati in the Super Bowl?..... The Underdog....I hope it happens!!!!

P S. Josh Allen is one strong California Central Valley boy! We raise em' big in the Golden State!...Brady?.....Rodgers?? It's the weather! I'm pulling for both those kids.....Burrows or Allen! Let the best man win!!! Upset the apple cart!!!! Bills....or....Bengals! Oh yea!!! 🏈 🏆

Once NE is knocked out I'm all for Brady winning #8 but if neither of these two teams are in it then I'm all for seeing some new blood in the big game. Outside of a Pats/Bucs SB I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Bills/Bucs too. I think they could be a great game.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe may be a great QB over his career, but there will never be another Tom Brady. There is only 1 GOAT and that is TB.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’ll see what he’s like at age 42

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

be careful with these comparisons

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bengals will be a very good team for the next few years. All their playmakers are under 25 years old. I’m not sure the financial situation but playing on rookie contracts allows them to add pieces to become a championship team.
    Dangerous situation for the AFC North and the league for that matter.
    And yes the Pro Bowl is a joke. Haven’t watched it in years. I’m always hoping no Bills play in a meaningless game for fear of a career ending injury

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets pump the brakes on the Joe Burrows = Tom Brady talk. lets see him win some MVPs, SBs, SB MVPs and see what he looks like when he is 44 before we anoint him the goat.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Lets pump the brakes on the Joe Burrows = Tom Brady talk. lets see him win some MVPs, SBs, SB MVPs and see what he looks like when he is 44 before we anoint him the goat.

All Rex said was that Burrow reminds him of Tom Brady. He's already light years ahead of where Brady was at a similar point in his career. At the same point in his career, Brady had 2849 yards passing and 18 touchdowns. Burrow has 7299 yards passing and 47 touchdowns. Of course, Brady won a Super Bowl his second season so let's see what Burrow can do in the postseason this year.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

Mahomes is the heir to Brady. Everyone was talking about how badly Mahomes was playing this year, he is a top 5 QB and lead his team to a tie for the best record in the AFC. So his down year includes an 8 game winning streak and leading his team to the top of the AFC fighting for the #1 seed.

I would take Herbert over Burrow every day of the week.

Robb

edited January 4, 2022 5:07PM

@fergie23 said:
    Mahomes is the heir to Brady.

Robb

Mahomes is the heir to Brady you say.....I wish him the best but I don't think so.....Too much running around behind the line.....People said the same about Russell Wilson. Look at him now. Those legs wear out quick. .....Brady figured that one out.....that's why he is still around......Mahomes is very good.....but.......too much running around for nothing.....

Herbert over Burrow?......tossup........both very good strong boys....I wish them all the best.....Put Josh Allen in the mix with those two...he is THE strong boy.....reminds me of Roman Gabriel... way back... anyway....3 very good young quarterbacks......I love it!!!!!!

P.S. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant agrees with you about Herbert. She would take Herbert over Burrows every day of the week......but.....I think she would take Herbert over anybody..... me included....she's in love with him! I hope he never shows up at my front door........I hate sleeping outside in the cold!!!!! 😵

I don't think its an insult to Brady for an analyst to say Burrow or anybody else is the next Tom Brady.
    They have a right to their opinion, mostly if they opine on a topic like that its only going to make
    the prognosticator look a little foolish in the long run, but it doesn't diminish everything that TB has accomplished.
    For years in years in baseball the pundits were always trying to tell us who the next Mickey Mantle was going to be,
    just a couple I remember were Clint Hurdle and Daryl Strawberry. Talk like that only puts more pressure on the
    player because those two had not even played yet in the majors when some in the media were saying
    they could be the next Mantle.
    At least Burrow's situation is different, he's already an accomplished QB after the year he's just put in so
    Rex Ryan mentioning him as the next Brady isn't going to put pressure on him I'm certain.

@fergie23 said:
    Mahomes is the heir to Brady. Everyone was talking about how badly Mahomes was playing this year, he is a top 5 QB and lead his team to a tie for the best record in the AFC. So his down year includes an 8 game winning streak and leading his team to the top of the AFC fighting for the #1 seed.

Robb

So true.
    Everyone was talking about how many interceptions Mahomes was throwing.
    Now............. Of the 8 NFL QB's who have thrown for at least 4,000 yards this year,
    only two have less picks than Mahomes and they are Brady and Prescott.
    The 3 young guns everyone is talking about, Burrow, Herbert, and Allen all have more
    interceptions than Mahomes now.
    And then there is the fact that Mahomes has played 3 complete years in the NFL and
    played in 3 AFC championship games, winning two of them and has won a Super Bowl
    in 2 appearances.
    I think if you throw the 3 big guns together, Burrow, Allen, and Herbert or BAH for short,
    you might get 1 Championship game appearance so those ole boys really need to step
    up their game this postseason. Me, I'll stick with Mahomes having the most postseason
    success again this year over those three.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

There will never be another Tom Brady - once in a generation talent in the right system.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    There will never be another Tom Brady - once in a generation talent in the right system.

Agreed.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.