Home Sports Talk

It's Belichick(?)

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year after GOAT winning yet another SB outside of NE, I was convinced it was all GOAT that resulted in the NE run. Now with how quickly NE has turned around w/o GOAT, I am starting to think that the coach had something to do with it, and maybe GOAT would not have been GOAT if he had gone to another team. What say you? Give Belichick his due? Greatest NFL coach of all time?

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're both GOATs and having them together for so long was the perfect storm for us Pats fans. I honestly believe Brady would have been great no matter what team he played on,everyone seems to forget that he was the 4th string QB to start the 2001 training camp,that had the least NFL experience, and he was the one holding up the Lombardi and SBMVP trophies by season's end.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

of course BB was important to the Patriots success, but I will always give more credit to the players on the field for team success.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Brady still deserves most of the credit, I don't see Bill winning all of those Super Bowls without Brady, but Bill is the GOAT coach, no doubt about that.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most "dynasties" have good owners, great coaches and great players.

I heard an interview a few years ago with former Viking HOF Kevin Williams. Williams said Belichick discussed the defense they were using with him during a Pro Bowl.

Williams fell a little short of calling BB a defensive genius, but not much. I see he has the #1 defense AGAIN.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2022 9:15AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Most "dynasties" have good owners, great coaches and great players.

I heard an interview a few years ago with former Viking HOF Kevin Williams. Williams said Belichick discussed the defense they were using with him during a Pro Bowl.

Williams fell a little short of calling BB a defensive genius, but not much. I see he has the #1 defense AGAIN.

The announcers posted a stat late in the Pats-Jags game saying Bob Kraft has seen his team make the playoffs for the 22nd time in 28yrs as owner which has been pretty incredible. Finding the GOATs at QB & head coach has left Bob with plenty of time for his Happy Endings.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is throwing the passes, making audibles and reading defenses. Brady has won with multiple OC coordinators and outside of Gronk and Edelman name another WR that was catching passes from Brady for a long period of time.

Without Brady Hoodie wouldn’t have ever sniffed all those wins. Brady might have done better elsewhere like Green Bay or Pittsburgh

Wes Welker comes to mind, 5 times all pro. Three great years with Randy Moss. Montana had one guy who went to more than two pro bowls, Jerry Rice.

Not sure why the fallacy continues that Brady did it all by himself. He was a GREAT player on GREAT teams.

Top 5 defense every year helped too, Belichick had a little to do with that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited January 5, 2022 3:32AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Wes Welker comes to mind, 5 times all pro. Three great years with Randy Moss. Montana had one guy who went to more than two pro bowls, Jerry Rice.

Not sure why the fallacy continues that Brady did it all by himself. He was a GREAT player on GREAT teams.

I’ve never once said Brady did it all himself but the same fallacy continues about Belichick

And Welker was nothing before he played with Brady.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB is the greatest defensive mind in the game. He and Buddy Ryan confused even the best offensive minds. There will always be a debate Tom or BB. Neither wins 6 SB’s without the other.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    BB is the greatest defensive mind in the game. He and Buddy Ryan confused even the best offensive minds. There will always be a debate Tom or BB. Neither wins 6 SB’s without the other.

I see no reason for any debate. They both contributed greatly to the success of the team.

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I’ve never once said Brady did it all himself but the same fallacy continues about Belichick

>
    >

Well I guess I misunderstood "outside of Gronk and Edelman name another WR that was catching passes from Brady for a long period of time."
    >

>
    Again, you give 100% credit to Brady here. Welker had to get open and catch the ball. He made three starts in NFL games before coming to New England, so I guess that is one of the reasons he was "nothing" before Brady.

Brady was/is great, Belichick was/is great and those other 21 guys on the field were for the most part great as well.

One player or one coach does not make for a great team.

edited January 5, 2022 7:31AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

>
    >

Well I guess I misunderstood "outside of Gronk and Edelman name another WR that was catching passes from Brady for a long period of time."
    >

>
    Again, you give 100% credit to Brady here. Welker had to get open and catch the ball. He made three starts in NFL games before coming to New England, so I guess that is one of the reasons he was "nothing" before Brady.

Brady was/is great, Belichick was/is great and those other 21 guys on the field were for the most part great as well.

One player or one coach does not make for a great team.

Ok so you can color me confused by your “he made 3 starts before NE”. Comment Because he was heavily targeted even though on paper he only was credited with 3 “Start” ‘s But I should have added Welker to my Edelman and Gronk list for sure I will give you that

edited January 5, 2022 1:31PM

I did see he was targeted 100 times in 2006. Not as many as any of his years in NE.

Since he wasn't a starter, I mentioned that fact, and was going to point out that he was pretty good before coming to NE despite not being a starter, so his success wasn't because he was "nothing" before Brady.

Team sport. No one player can win without the other 21 plus good coaching.

edited January 5, 2022 3:41PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    I did see he was targeted 100 times in 2006. Not as many as any of his years in NE.

Since he wasn't a starter, I mentioned that fact, and was going to point out that he was pretty good before coming to NE despite not being a starter, so his success wasn't because he was "nothing" before Brady.

Team sport. No one player can win without the other 21 plus good coaching.

We can point and counter point about Welker all we want and probably not disagree too much on him. He was a great player for sure.

I agree 100% about the team sport, but Brady elevated his WR’s and nobody will convince me otherwise., the defenses had some very talented players and I will give Belichick that but he cannot draft WR’s that is a proven fact.

Either way New England was lucky to have both Brady and Hoodie