Home Precious Metals
Options

100 Oz. Silver Bar - Western Pacific Coin & Silver Exchange

Does anyone know anything about these silver bars? This one was sitting in a safe deposit box for at least 20 years.

Is there anything unique or rare about this one, or is it a fairly standard silver bar?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone drilled the back of the bar. Did you check the actual weight>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drilling could be a weight adjustment.
    But regardless of the reason, it is undesirable to have that.

Drilling aside, I think that is an interesting bar that would have a moderate premium. If it were, for example, a 1-oz or 10-oz bar, it would have a higher premium (per ounce) than the 100-oz size.

• Options

Thanks for the info. My scale isn't super accurate, but it does show a little more than 100 oz.

What are your thoughts on value if I were to sell this?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 11:54AM

Couple things come to mind.
    Cool bar, love the serial number on poured bars.

IMO
    Drill hole is a bummer...does detract from the value.
    If it came with a baggie of silver drill shavings and a good story of why it was drilled that might be the saving grace.

Even if that's an 80's era bar, I would think they would shave material from a non aesthetic area.
    As with all, find the right buyer.

Apmex had bar #771 for sale at one time...that retained the pigtail.

Product Overview
    These vintage 100 oz Western Pacific Silver bars were likely manufactured in the 1980s. The pigtail or sprue is the passage through which a molten material is introduced into a mold

Acording to the
    https://vintagepouredbar.com/2020/10/15/other-notable-w-ingots/

Western Pacific Coin & Silver Exchange.
    These bars come out of Nevada circa early 70s.
    The company was shut down in 1974 after being sued by numerous investors for failing to deliver on silver contracts that were called in.
    They had a sister company, Western Pacific Gold and Silver Exchange that was also shut down at that time.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Maybe erroneously checked for no fill authenticity? .

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I like one with the hole in it as well

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 12:17PM

@johnny9434 said:

What would the thoughts be on a person filling the hole (ie restore) the bar.
    If done seamlessly, would help the value?
    I'd say to an Interested party, around $30 an ounce at this time would be a realistic number.

I would put that bar in the same price range as the CMI constitution bars...less the drill hole diminished value.

One is currently listed at 3k with no takers.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@johnny9434 said:

I'd say to an Interested party, around $30 an ounce at this time would be a realistic number.

It would be extremely difficult to fill that drill hole without detection. The repair would have a noticeably different texture than the surrounding area on the bar. Look at all the early silver dollars that have been holed and then expertly repaired many years later. The grading services have no problem finding these repairs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 12:52PM

@PerryHall said:

@rte592 said:

@johnny9434 said:

It would be extremely difficult to fill that drill hole without detection. The repair would have a noticeably different texture than the surrounding area on the bar. Look at all the early silver dollars that have been holed and then expertly repaired many years later. The grading services have no problem finding these repairs.

It would make it more eye pleasing filled...
    A finessed touch with some corresponding grit sand paper to match up the extruded lines on the back and it would be a Rembrandt.

I'd be willing to try at 10% back of spot say at 20

No numismatic value like a coin, so no real harm...full disclosure would still be advised.
    Looks like it was tested on an episode of pawn stars.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big holes in the bar can't be desireable. If I was a buyer i'd offer around 80% of spot. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

A drilled bar? That's like a chick with the herps. Stay away.lol

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a hundy that weighs correct/over....I'm really not caring about the drill spot.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    On a hundy that weighs correct/over....I'm really not caring about the drill spot.

Yeah, but your buyer will.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 8:47PM

I see no collector premium in a hundred without some ridiculous provenance. Refiner wouldn't care either. If that equates to 97% spot or thereabouts, meh that's the discount.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I see no collector premium in a hundred without some ridiculous provenance. Refiner wouldn't care either. If that equates to 97% spot or thereabouts, meh that's the discount.

That's the thing...
    Melt a vintage (1980ish) bar.
    Restore for your collection and save a piece of history.
    High probability it will get melted at some point in the future.

• Options

Love the design emblem of this bar.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 8:36AM

The OP picture doesn't show the toning, greens, reds, auburn throughout all the cast imperfections
    and the original look to the bar. It appears this bar has indeed sat in a box for twenty plus years flash camera drowned out the color of a very pretty toning in the hole. It has a Pig Tail stub on serial number side. The hole is much smaller than depicted in the picture. The Bar; It's real and it weighs One hundred ounces. Bar passed the 45 degree angle magnet test.

Now, let's dance and create a Collectors Universe "hoe down argument provenance" LOL before my wife finds out it's not a box of catalogs from Stack's Bowers

In Rare coins, Gold and Silver; "I'm always screwed until I'm not.

• Options

Bought it?

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 8:34AM

@DrBuster said:
    Bought it?

Looks like Soldi has a new door stop.
    Guess that answers the question of how big the** half inch hole** was...your a little shy on the measurement. :)
    When does the CU restoration thread begin?
    That's the big question.
    You know you want to...hell I want to :)
    Definitely have to start a poll.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 9:10AM

Guess that answers the question of how big the** half inch hole** was...your a little shy on the measurement. :)

It's not "round" I'm over .50 and under .50 appears drill slipped about. Regardless the "hole" adds to the originality of the bar and someone's concern ( in the way back machine) over it being a "real solid piece of silver" opposed to a weight adjustment. IMHO

check that nonsense. I put my calipers I'D and it's a one half inch hole with metal on the surface. Regardless it's an old hole

PS what does it mean when your wife says: "You're not going to have a door to stop you keep this up" ?

• Options

@Soldi said:
    PS what does it mean when your wife says: "You're not going to have a door to stop you keep this up" ?

Im memory serves me right...That could be strike one or Strike two.
    If it was strike three the door would be hitting you on the way out.

Nice bar either way.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 7:38PM

@DrBuster said:
    Bought it?

Oops

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

Yes, I bought it, it's on my desk.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Yes, I bought it, it's on my desk.

Nice pickup

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,