Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1% eBay bucks on purchases returning in 2022?

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2021 9:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What do you all think? Will eBay bring back the 1% eBay bucks on all (most) purchases in 2022 or is this just a glitch?

Here is an item ending today with no eBay bucks listed

and then one ending Jan 1st with eBay bucks listed (1% of the current auction price).

Edit: both are in the coins category (not bullion). One is from a Canadian seller but I checked a US based seller for an item ending today and it also has no eBay bucks.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I see 1% on all coins (auctions that end next year) I have looked at this AM.

I hope that this pans out as the 1% sure adds up fast.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

has anyone got a 5 percent e bucks lately?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    has anyone got a 5 percent e bucks lately?

There was an 8% this week.

• Options

You'd think they would have announced it.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 9:48AM

@jmlanzaf said:

Then no one would BIN today.

Wait one day.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 9:49AM

Should have waited on my purchases.

Seems to be auction only, not Buy it now.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    Should have waited on my purchases.

Seems to be auction only, not Buy it now.

That's because the buy-it-now would end today if you bought it today (so it won't show until tomorrow if the 1% is back).

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

That makes me think it might be a glitch.
    However, @ErrorsOnCoins makes a good point that it would halt most purchases today if they announced it early. Also, they might want to wait until the 1st to make a "big announcement" for the new year.

• Options
    HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 10:28AM

IMO 1% isn’t worth the squeeze. For example: Discover has quarterly promos where you can get 5% back off Amazon, Paypal, Target etc purchases.

Bought 2x $1000 coins this past year, one via Paypal, the other via Amazon with a prominent dealer.
    $100 in cash back in total.

You’d have to spend $10k to get that with Ebay’s 1%

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoldTheMayo said:
    IMO 1% isn’t worth the squeeze. For example: Discover has quarterly promos where you can get 5% back off Amazon, Paypal, Target etc purchases.

Bought 2x $1000 coins this past year, one via Paypal, the other via Amazon with a prominent dealer.

Yeah but you get 1% from ebay, 2% from your credit card, thats 3%. I've spent over 200 grand on eBay this year. That 3% maxes out my IRA.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed it was not on Buy it now listings, but if it is supposed to start on January 1, then they will probably show up on these tomorrow. I have a couple on my list. We will wait to see.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this first on the night before the 8% Ebucks promo and thought "what's up?". Then I got the 8% promo the next day. I saw the 1% again this morning. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out...

• Options

@HoldTheMayo said:

You can get both. Just buy in ebay and pay with PayPal...or whatever bonus card you have.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That makes me think it might be a glitch.
    However, @ErrorsOnCoins makes a good point that it would halt most purchases today if they announced it early. Also, they might want to wait until the 1st to make a "big announcement" for the new year.

I can see it either way. It's unusual for them to not give a heads up on these things in their quarterly updates. But, we'll see...

• Options

1% eBucks is actually a huge deal.

• Options
    HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

If you spend $200k/year like Delaware definitely, but I’m like sub $20k/year in eBay purchases, and even I’m in prob the top 5% of most collectors.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

• Options

@HoldTheMayo said:
    If you spend $200k/year like Delaware definitely, but I’m like sub $20k/year in eBay purchases, and even I’m in prob the top 5% of most collectors.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

It is not only the 1% but it's a loyalty program in a way and keeps buyers interested in eBay.

• Options

eBay fees are way to high

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha, not so good for me because I had a negative balance when the program ended ;)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Topdollarpaid said:

There’s no way you could duplicate the service for less. B&M ? No way. Out advertise eBay ? No way. Provide the security and guarantees. Sure, but at what price.
    Trusted members do better on the BST here but that’s hobby related not so much retail sales.
    Again my experience but pretty good advertising, pretty good backup and guarantee, good selection, and awesome research abilities.
    It works for me because no coin clubs, shows or shop close. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Topdollarpaid said:

There’s no way you could duplicate the service for less. B&M ? No way. Out advertise eBay ? No way. Provide the security and guarantees. Sure, but at what price.
    Trusted members do better on the BST here but that’s hobby related not so much retail sales.
    Again my experience but pretty good advertising, pretty good backup and guarantee, good selection, and awesome research abilities.
    It works for me because no coin clubs, shows or shop close. Thanks

Totally agree.

Anyone who thinks ebay 's fees are too high (under 10% including payment processing and transaction insurance) has never run a business.

• Options

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

It's still incremental income. If you're buying stuff anyway, why wouldn't you want the 1%?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

It's still incremental income. If you're buying stuff anyway, why wouldn't you want the 1%?

Maybe because I've traditionally sold a LOT more on eBay than I've bought, and sellers are who ultimately foot the bill for the promotion?

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Maybe because I've traditionally sold a LOT more on eBay than I've bought, and sellers are who ultimately foot the bill for the promotion?

Yes...and no. It's not like they are raising seller's fees 1% to cover the cost or cutting the seller's fees 1% if they don't reestablish the program. Presumably, they are doing it to drive revenue not decrease profits. It should, therefore, be positive for sellers.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Yes...and no. It's not like they are raising seller's fees 1% to cover the cost or cutting the seller's fees 1% if they don't reestablish the program. Presumably, they are doing it to drive revenue not decrease profits. It should, therefore, be positive for sellers.

Ultimately, it's just like that. When eBay decides where to set seller fees in 2023, they'll be reviewing profit margins for 2022 as part of the consideration. I'm dubious that 1% is enough of an incentive to influence buyer behavior in a major way. It's more of a nice little perk for someone who's buying anyway. As such, I don't see much benefit to me as (primarily) a seller. YMMV.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Ultimately, it's just like that. When eBay decides where to set seller fees in 2023, they'll be reviewing profit margins for 2022 as part of the consideration. I'm dubious that 1% is enough of an incentive to influence buyer behavior in a major way. It's more of a nice little perk for someone who's buying anyway. As such, I don't see much benefit to me as (primarily) a seller. YMMV.

I don't know their inner workings, obviously. But they used to have it. They got rid of it. If they are bringing it back, it isn't experimental. It is because the data they already have must demonstrate that it was effective as a loyalty program.

[Note: I'm also primarily a seller, about a 100:1 ratio]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I don't know their inner workings, obviously. But they used to have it. They got rid of it. If they are bringing it back, it isn't experimental. It is because the data they already have must demonstrate that it was effective as a loyalty program.

If they're bringing it back, you can rest assured it's because it benefits eBay. I'm highly skeptical that it also benefits me as an eBay seller. Again, YMMV.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If they're bringing it back, you can rest assured it's because it benefits eBay. I'm highly skeptical that it also benefits me as an eBay seller. Again, YMMV.

Of course it benefits eBay. But giving away 1% can only benefit eBay if it also benefits the seller. No?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a buyer only, I would call it cheap advertising and something I like.
    Interesting thing about 1%. Most don’t appreciate how it adds up.
    Once told my grandpa that it was just “a penny “ and he shared the story of giving him a penny and doubling it for 30 days. Day 1 - 1penny Day 2 double it - 2 pennies. Day 3 double double it -4 pennies and so on 8- 16 - 32 -64. Before 30 days I got his point and pick up every penny I see. Different times, fun story 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Of course it benefits eBay. But giving away 1% can only benefit eBay if it also benefits the seller. No?

No. (Proof left as an exercise for the reader)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

No. (Proof left as an exercise for the reader)

LMAO. Honestly, I don't see it. I fail to see how the eBay 1% benefits them unless it drives increased sales which has to benefit me.

The only exception to that would be if they raised my fees by 1% to cover the 1%. But they've made no such announcement.

• Options

BIN's are now at 1% :)<3B)

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Too bad the ebay bucks doesn’t make up for the sales tax that they put on everything, including what shouldn’t have tax.

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this just a glitch on eBay side? None of the items I'm watching now shows 1% eBucks anymore whethere BIN or auction. I purchased/bid and won on 5 items yesterday and only 1 of them had a 1% eBucks after I paid for the items but all of them had the 1% eBucks showing before auction ending.

• Options

And it's gone ...

https://youtu.be/-DT7bX-B1Mg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file