Home Q & A Forum
Options

Be Nostradamus

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

What is a key factor or two when considering a relatively inexpensive coin with/for future great potential? Why you may wonder...two nights ago I stumbled upon a website that recommended keeping an eye out for certain dimes. Dimes had not caught my fancy...yet. Lo and behold I had two of those dimes in my uncirculated sets; the 1996-W. Then I learned about full bands and how they affect value. I don't think mine are quite FB so I was disappointed. Today I jumped all over an Ebay PCGS certified listing for one in MS68FB mostly because of my experience two nights ago. I am not inclined to impulsive buys but I couldn't resist this one; low mintage and the top of its class. I'm also not inclined to bust up my sets of which I have over 100 starting from 1968. Other than the missing mint mark sets, are there other hidden gems in these sets?

I'm a novice and I've grown somewhat tired of looking at Morgans and Peace dollars. I have the latest redbook, cherry pickers guide, and rare coin magazine but dang that's a lot of data. Is there a publication that addresses my initial question of where and what to look for so my sons and grandkids will appreciate the selections I've made? Is it as simple as quality and mintage or is it a talent you pick up with time, i.e., patience grasshopper? A key date pub maybe?

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no such thing as a coin Nostradamus

Also, if the heirs are not collectors, coins will be just another chore to dispose of as an asset

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    There is no such thing as a coin Nostradamus

Also, if the heirs are not collectors, coins will be just another chore to dispose of as an asset

Oh my 21 yr old son stops at my desk each day now and asks what's new. He's not just going through the motions but actually interested and asking the right questions. I've raised him and his brothers so that I'm not worried about them needing disposable assets in the future.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options

I hope it sticks, we get several questions each year about how to dispose of coin collections from or before passing

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE Tired of Morgan and Peace dollars you say? Have you done the VAM attribution s on each of these dollars? Studying these dollars using Vamworld 2.0 is very rewarding, IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @PapiNE Tired of Morgan and Peace dollars you say? Have you done the VAM attribution s on each of these dollars? Studying these dollars using Vamworld 2.0 is very rewarding, IMO. Peace Roy

I have. I found a 1880-O ear and gouge and a 1922 Peace with Extra Hair. Also many lesser known ones but searching for VAMs really got me hooked. The cracks, and cuds, and alligator (eye) Oh my!

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I did 60+ in the last 2 years. What fun! Happy New Years eve. Be safe.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I hope it sticks, we get several questions each year about how to dispose of coin collections from or before passing

It will. My 22 years of active duty service took me away from my family at the age of 19. My father never shared with me why he collected or what came from his mother and grandmother. I knew there was a collection but he was much more private than I and I didn't ask. I can tell he liked bullion. My three sons are near me and I share everything with them. Even my 4yr old grandson has taken a liking to the Australian coins; especially the Salt Water Croc. My question pertains to smartly building upon what binds me/them to the past. I guess it's a to each his own kinda thing....that'll be fun too.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE Thanks for your service. I did 22 years in the USN/USNR/USAF. I retired in 1993. Enjoy your retirement. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Aussie do a lot of good fauna coins