Home Q & A Forum
Options

Reconsideration Service Questions

Hello, and thank you for reading my questions! I have four coins I want to have reconsidered vs re-graded because I don't want to lose the current Certification Numbers. I have heard from some submitters recently that they have had reconsiderations change CN when upgraded... Will PCGS absolutely not change a CN from a reconsideration (and these individuals in fact used another service), or are there circumstances when a CN change will occur?

Three of the four coins do not have TrueView. I don't use reholder+TrueView because I believe there is a chance for upgrades with these coins. I also prefer the GoldShield holder with RFID vs these holders so would like them to be re-holdered and TrueVIewed no matter if they upgrade or not. How can I be sure they are cracked, TrueViewed and re-holdered no matter what? I don't see anywhere on the submission form to make such a request, perhaps other than on the "Coin Description/Variety" line. The last one is already in a GoldShield holder with a TV so technically doesn't need to be re-holdered but I don't like the current TV and would like a redo since I'd be technically paying for the service one way or the other (I'd be sending in standard which includes GS/TV and assume there is no discount when a coin does not upgrade).

Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 8:46PM

I’m like you, where for me because of CAC stickers on my coins, it’s critical to retain the same cert number. This way CAC will automatically reapply their sticker for only a $5 fee (unless the coin is upgraded to the next whole grade number, where it then needs to requalify with the $16 fee).

1. Whenever I send coins in for Reconsideration, I just clearly make a LARGE note near the bottom of the submission form indicating to “PLEASE RETAIN the SAME Cert Number”. They’ve never failed to comply!
    2. Don’t fear just sending coins in for reholdering and getting True Views. I’ve done this MANY times, with the same note from above on my submission form. Again, PCGS has ALWAYS complied!

No need to pay extra for Reconsideration if all you really want is to have your coin reholdered with a True View.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    I’m like you, where for me because of CAC stickers on my coins, it’s critical to retain the same cert number. This way CAC will automatically reapply their sticker for only a $5 fee (unless the coin is upgraded to the next whole grade number, where it then needs to requalify with the $16 fee).

1. Whenever I send coins in for Reconsideration, I just clearly make a LARGE note near the bottom of the submission form indicating to “PLEASE RETAIN the SAME Cert Number”. They’ve never failed to comply!
    2. Don’t fear just sending coins in for reholdering and getting True Views. I’ve done this MANY times, with the same note from above on my submission form. Again, PCGS has ALWAYS complied!

No need to pay extra for Reconsideration if all you really want is to have your coin reholdered with a True View.

Steve

Steve,

I appreciate the response. In my case, I'm gunning for an upgrade/designation with each coin so reconsideration will be the way to go. Perhaps I will make a note on each line with the desired if/or and make a note at the bottom as you suggest in blue marker/highlight and have faith they will comply with the specifics of the request. Take care!

-Broc

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest the blue marker/highlight at the bottom of EACH page, rather than squeezing it on each line.

Let us know how you make out.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest keeping copies of everything

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Just make copies and save them