Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the first US error coin publication?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything useful.

Comments

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 3:23PM

That is a great question!

Don’t know the answer, but here is a section from a coin auction catalog in 1879 featuring mint errors, that was published in Mint Error News!

https://minterrornews.com/discoveries-2-17-04-1879_catalogue.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

While I doubt it's the first publication ever, I do have a copy of the first edition of Alan Herbert's "Official Guide to Mint Errors", published in 1974

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@desslok said:
    While I doubt it's the first publication ever, I do have a copy of the first edition of Alan Herbert's "Official Guide to Mint Errors", published in 1974

That's a nice off center, double clip.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first mint error catalog was issued in 1975.

Obviously NOT the first one out there.

In it, I had my Indian Head Cent in gold, and my $20 Liberty struck on a Large Cent blank for sale!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Interesting. The 1879 auction catalogue is certainly earlier than I would have guessed. From the Byers catalog it seems errors were appreciated in Col. Green's time, ~ 1920's and 30's, though those two coins are exceptional of course. Strange that there wasn't a book, or some sort of non-catalog publication before 1974 in that case.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

1956 to 1958

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    1956 to 1958

Thanks! I wonder if the 1955 Double Die cent helped kick this off. I realize we would call this a Variety today, but I could imagine it being included in the category of Mint Errors at the time.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we owe much of the interest in errors and varieties today to the first mass selling publication in 1962; Spadone's "Major Errors and Varieties Guide" first edition.

It looks somewhat quaint by today's standards but was actually a pretty good reference. It probably helped touch off the roll and bag boom and the huge changes in the hobby since.

Each edition improved a little. By the 6th it was much more comprehensive and some of the "dross" had been excised.

Sales of the book surprised almost everyone. There's little left of my first edition.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really incredible to see these early publications.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm remembering correctly, Spadone had a book concerning varieties and errors. I've lost my copy, but I had it in the early 70's.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spadone issued a number of issues, I remember one from the mid 1960's

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file