Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ted Williams Card company, looking for info

Seen some packs lately , beautiful cards but don't know anything about them.
Any experts out there that can fill-in some info about them .
maybe potential value?
Thanks
Krueger

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I believe they were made for three years in the late mid 90s. They were very nice cards with veteran players many hall of famers however there value are bleak at best.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

maybe the best time to accumulate.
    some future day they will get hot as limited quantity
    Collectors love hard to find things that are scarce and nice.
    may take another ten plus years . But seen such things in coins
    suddenly the unloved becomes the loved ones as the desired become unaffordable, and those in the know rush in to be ahead of the crowd when they get wind.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

I remember them having a huge presence at All Star Fan Fest in '93

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

The sets were nicely made, pretty much all retired players at the time. If I recall correctly, 2 different baseball sets, 1 football and 1 basketball. They were also supposed to be limited, with each box containing a certificate from a numbered run of X cases. I don't recall the specifics, but I'm sure that isn't hard to find online. I must have a certificate or two kicking around myself, as i bought a couple boxes. It's too bad they didn't continue making them, not sure what happened to the company and why they stopped. Probably licensing issues or some sort would be my guess.

I can't agree with you that they will suddenly become popular though. I don't believe anything was all that scarce, aside from a couple special edition cards. There were a couple randomly inserts autographed cards that demand a premium. The insert sets were nice, but again, not all that tough. A couple redemption sets that were neat, but not scarce either.

Fun sets to collect and enjoy, like Fun Packs (Upper Deck, was it?) and collectors choice, but nothing to invest in.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 7:54PM

Looks like it ended up as a Classic product, which I didn't recall.

I guess i also didn't recall it was a John Henry Williams idea, playing off his father's name. Further didn't realize that JH died less than a decade later, only a couple of years after his old man.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a few packs when they came out. I recall thinking that the finish was too glossy to get them autographed, which was my intended purpose at the time.