Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Please create a set registry for paper money!

redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2021 12:42PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

It was mentioned almost two years ago that there would be a registry for paper money. Please follow through with this as many collector's have been waiting patiently. Let's get it planned out. I've been told over and over again it is coming. But only delay after delay, excuse after excuse.

How hard is it. Even Jason Bradford managed to put together a really nice product back in 2007, when technology wasn't even as good.

I've put money into PCGS Banknote holders over the last two years but won't put another dime into any submissions until I see a full blown competitive registry set in action. And I suggest everyone else does the same.

Comments

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Sounds reasonable enough.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Send you message to Heather Boyd (top thread on this forum)...would like to know her response.

• @tomtomtomtom said:
    Send you message to Heather Boyd (top thread on this forum)...would like to know her response.

Done.

• Very Long Overdue. For some types of notes, I sincerely believe that the lack of a Registry has affected prices for PCGS-Banknote Notes at auction. Needs to be a Priority.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

I have never heard of a "set registry" unless it refers to an individual coin collector's TPG set to be shared with others.

Do you mean a PCGS Population Report like the PMG Population Report?

• @Serial_no_8 said:
    I have never heard of a "set registry" unless it refers to an individual coin collector's TPG set to be shared with others.

Do you mean a PCGS Population Report like the PMG Population Report?

While I think the original poster meant "Registry Set," you are also correct that the Population Report is something that also needs attention. A pop report would be an easy addition (it exists in "a form" if you do a cert# lookup), but the Registry is what is very much needed.

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 4:30PM

I’ve never participated in set registry but from what I understand, collectors compete with one another with graded notes from a particular grading company. Points are awarded by grade and the percentage of the set that’s been completed.

I’ve not participated because I have PMG, PCGS (K3B), new PCGS, CGA and a ton of ungraded notes. Committing to one TPG just wasn’t in the cards for me.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

While I think the original poster meant "Registry Set," you are also correct that the Population Report is something that also needs attention. A pop report would be an easy addition (it exists in "a form" if you do a cert# lookup), but the Registry is what is very much needed.

-Thanks for the clarification @BanknoteBlues :)

"I’ve never participated in set registry but from what I understand, collectors compete with one another with graded notes from a particular grading company....
    I’ve not participated because I have PMG, PCGS (K3B), new PCGS, CGA and a ton of ungraded notes. Committing to one TPG just wasn’t in the cards for me
    ."

• I've never heard of this (except for coins). Interesting. Thanks for the explanation (though my collection comes from several TPG co's too & I doubt I'd participate). Good to know tho @Steve_in_Tampa (thanks!)

Awesome set @tomtomtomtom !

As a participant in PMG’s registry, was my description above accurate concerning what participating in a Registry is really like ? Is there anything you would like to add as far as what your Registry experience has been like for you @tomtomtomtom ?

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa Thank you! You are exactly correct in your description. I really never took it as a challenge to beat other collectors. I look for the best examples of the notes that I want in my collection and the rest just falls into place. The reason that many of my notes ended in PMG holders was the fact that I can submit to PMG as a member of the ANA (don't have to subscribe to any club etc as an ANA member). The PMG registry has many different categories that allows diverse collecting habits and accommodates a lot of collectors. About half of my collection is in old PCGS holders. They are graded correctly but I don't want to spend the money to move them into either PMG or new PCGS holders just for the sake of padding my existing registry. > @Steve_in_Tampa said:

Awesome set @tomtomtomtom !

As a participant in PMG’s registry, was my description above accurate concerning what participating in a Registry is really like ? Is there anything you would like to add as far as what your Registry experience has been like for you @tomtomtomtom ?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 8:00AM

It seems to me that collectors participate in these registry sets for different reasons but two major ones are competition and to share your collection with others for various reasons. Like Tom, I have documented my collection of NY obsolete banknotes on an online registry (SPMC) just for the purpose of sharing and education.

For the grading companies, it's good business. It increases submissions. So, they are all for it. However, with Covid during the past two years, many businesses have put future plans on hold while they struggle to adapt to the new normal. This may be the case with our hosts.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
    edited January 1, 2022 10:13AM

Thanks Tom and Russell.
    Participating in a TPG Registry also adds brand loyalty with that grading company.

• NoGoldNoGold Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 8:52PM

I'm afraid by the time PCGS-B establishes a registry most of the old PCGS holders will have crossed to PMG. This is truly an opportunity missed.

• redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

@NoGold said:
    I'm afraid by the time PCGS-B establishes a registry most of the old PCGS holders will have crossed to PMG. This is truly an opportunity missed.

Sadly I agree. They really should have made this more of a priority. Here it is over two years later and still not even a word about it. Baffling.

I didn't get a reply from my personal message to Heather Boyd so that's not a good sign

At least bring out a population report. I mean how hard can that be?