Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

John Madden RIP

It was sad to hear the news that John madden passed away today. What was really eerie was that my friend came back home from South Carolina. We used to play madden 1994 all the time on the sega genesis. We went and got some food and came back to my house to pull out the old sega and madden 1994. We were almost to halftime when his phone alerted him that madden passed. We haven’t played this game in years and the odds of us playing it when they announced his passing was beyond weird.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Raider fan since 1975 I can tell you that this one hurts. RIP

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad told me about John passing which was quite sad.
    I went up stairs and told my parents, "I Love You"
    Life here on earth is just a visit....

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

For as much as the video game made him even more famous, my fondest memories of him were before the game came out. He was already famous early 80’s from coaching, but at that time you sensed we “discovered” his TV masterpiece as it was happening. All of the rest of the “catchy” commentators that followed Vitale, Berman), got permission for that style from Madden’s success.

My fav ad.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 3:11PM

99% of the NFL football watching world wouldn’t have a clue how intricate the game really is WITHOUT John Madden showing us all. Two items illustrate his knowledge…(I think I got these from his book years ago)…1. He asked CBS to invent the telestrator so that he could use it on the tv screen to show people how the plays work. People like me focus on the guy with the ball…he would be screaming…Look at #54 Joe Lineman watch his block on this guy here…BOOM…see it look….BOOM…if he doesn’t hit this guy at the 40 yard line…No way does Sanders break thru the line and go untouched into the end zone!! That’s why Joe is all Pro!!! Look at it again…BOOM (scribbling on the tv screen)…”he can play on my team any day”!!! He would say.

I learned it all (and so did everyone else whether they know it or not) from his ability to make it so clear to us with the tools he helped develop. #2 He told us who all the players were. Every game. Each team. He said when he first got up into the booth he was like “the guy on the End just hit the guy on the other End. He was shocked that being up so high meant he didn’t recognize any of the players. He said on the field, and on the sidelines, that he didn’t need to have someone tell him who the players were….you could tell mean Joe Greene by his size on the field and the blood on his jersey, the speed they moved on and off the field…he didn’t need anyone to tell him who was in or out on any play. But when he got up in the booth he couldn’t tell who anybody was…. So he started telling everyone on every play…ok 25 is coming in the game that’s Joe
    Lineman….it’s gonna be a running play because he’s great on those plays. So you associated players by names numbers and positions because he always did it by sight…but he realized in the booth viewers couldn’t do that unless they were told…so he made us see it by being sure to tell us the viewers. It literally describes all of football broadcasting as we know it today. They do it easily, because Madden made us want it told to us that way. Thanks John Madden. You were one of the giants. I hope they had the tur-duck-en leg waiting for you. You earned it.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Being a Raider fan since 1975 I can tell you that this one hurts. RIP

First Home game when I was 6 years old in the Player Family Box, right behind the Oakland Bench, was at every single Home Game from about 1962 until 1973 when I went into the Army! Madden was always cool and nice to us kids and then teenagers! Many games after that, probably 50-60!

He will be missed, he was bigger than life even then!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never saw him coach, but I grew up watching him as sportscaster and of course all the years playing Madden NFL video games. RIP to a legend.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

sad news, childhood memories

RIP

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I always liked when he was the commentator for an NFL game. Madden and Pat Summeral did some big games. RIP John.