Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quandary...

Long story short....sold a card on Ebay. Buyer gets it, requests a return for wrong item shipped. Buyer returns item I supposedly shipped and it is a card I have never owned. The values in raw condition are similar (1980 OPC 2nd year Gretzky vs 1985 Topps Lemieux), but this card I got back isn't mine. I have contacted Ebay and they are investigating, but at this point, they have sided with the buyer and refunded the purchase price for the card I sold. Anyone had anything like this happen and what was the resolution? I'm guessing the seller of the Lemieux is going to have some sort of claim OR this is the buyer's way to force a trade.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

When the buyer reached out or opened the claim saying the wrong item was received, what did the buyer say he/she received? Or are you setup for auto issued returns? When you got the wrong card back, did you message the buyer stating so and what was the response?

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Buyer stated they received the Lemieux from me. I knew that couldn't be the case because I have never owned a Topps Lemieux. I messaged them twice with no response. Ebay stepped in after the time for response had elapsed and once they received confirmation the return was received by me, they issued the refund. I signed an affidavit this morning and returned to Ebay, per their request. Here's the thing.....the Lemieux looks "off" to me.....not sure why, it just does.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is the buyer? I would like to add him to the ever-growing blocked list. Thank you.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I had this exact experience. I contacted eBay. Luckily, the buyer never returned the item and ruled in my favor. This is one of my biggest fears selling on eBay. This game could be played at anytime and with eBay, all you have to supply is a tracking number. The buyer could send you a rock in return and win the case. Unless they have a sketchy history with eBay or low feedback, I’m not sure eBay would side with the seller. Would the eBay seller protection come into play on this?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Update: Ebay has accepted my appeal and has sent my money back to me. I had to sign an affidavit stating that the item I received back was not what I sold. I also provided pictures of the envelope as it was opened. I'm fortunate it worked out in my favor, but this scam, if that is what it is, is on a different level. If the buyer would have said I sent a card I actually own back to me, I would have beat myself up trying to figure out where I sent the other one.

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

As a hockey card seller, please give provide this buyer's ID so I can block this person.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 12:29PM

It's a definite scam to take advantage of eBay's return policy. Please give sellers ID so people can block. I can bet he sent back a Mario reprint hoping you would take the bait and not complain.

• Options

The buyer's ID is izmande0. Almost 10K in pos feedback. Not a single negative. Been a member on Ebay for 2+ years. Buyer only, it looks like. I do not have a trained eye on 1985 Topps Lemeiux cards, so I am going to post what I received.

Size checks out, centering is 60/40 T to B and 50/50 L to R, no creases, couple of touches to the corners on the back. If its a RP, it's a dang good one, but I guess they all are. Let me know what ya'll think....

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added to the blocked list. Thank you.

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Now I've seen it all. A new twist. So now to me, it looks like the buyer did a forced trade on you.
    The Lemieux card is real, but in poor shape with the centering , fisheye, and soft corners.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Perhaps the buyer confused you with another seller? Could be an honest mistake.

• Options

@Gansetttime said:
    Perhaps the buyer confused you with another seller? Could be an honest mistake.

That is what my initial thought was. Hence, my 3 messages to them. However, they never replied. I’m guessing there is a seller that has had an “item not received” claim filed and will be baffled. It’s the weirdest situation to me.

• Options

Very odd.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

It seems like a mistake. Glad you weren't defrauded for sure.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I’m trying to figure out why, if this was a scam, he sent a Mario and not, say, a Dean Evason?

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

If it's someone with that many feedbacks, I imagine they get several ebay packages per day or week, so maybe they got confused as to which card came from which seller. Still, scary proposition.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@Greedoguy said:
    The buyer's ID is izmande0. Almost 10K in pos feedback. Not a single negative. Been a member on Ebay for 2+ years. Buyer only, it looks like. I do not have a trained eye on 1985 Topps Lemeiux cards, so I am going to post what I received.

Size checks out, centering is 60/40 T to B and 50/50 L to R, no creases, couple of touches to the corners on the back. If its a RP, it's a dang good one, but I guess they all are. Let me know what ya'll think....

That green dot that Mario is looking at on the front of the card is a print dot, not on all cards, so it won't grade well if you're considering submitting it.

• Options

Yea….it’s not my card so it will set safely in the return envelope until someone claims it. I’m sure somebody is looking for it.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 9:30PM

Another oddity about this buyer. He has 10k feedback but 9k+ has been within the last couple of months. The account was opened in 2019 and had limited usage until the last couple of months. He has received 10k feedback but has left feedback for sellers just once.