Home Q & A Forum

Andrew Johnson medallion

I know that your not supposed to clean any of these things but I am very curious of the reverse
side unreadable markings.
Is there a way of safely removing some of the built up debris without actually cleaning?

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask on the us coin forum

Be aware that once explanations get to some unknown point (probably too close to coin doctoring) threads can but not necessarily get closed

You’ll definitely need to post good clear pictures

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2021 11:05PM

Ask on the us coin forum

That looks to be some mass marketed item. It may not be worth the trouble other that to learn.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    Ask on the us coin forum

Be aware that once explanations get to some unknown point (probably too close to coin doctoring) threads can but not necessarily get closed

You’ll definitely need to post good clear pictures

You need me to repost with clearer pics?

When you re-post on the us coin forum you will need clearer pictures

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2021 9:40PM

If it is dirt or grime, acetone should work on copper, cupronickel alloys (clad and nickels), silver, or gold. It's a solvent that will work on many adhered organics, but not mess with the metal surface or toning. The unknown is what's under the gunk. There could be corrosion or it toned differently. You won't know until the crud is removed.

Try a short soak, then repeat in clean solvent. No need to rinse. Acetone is flammable, so use caution with good ventalation. Also, it will dissolve many plastics, so use a covered glass container (it evaporates quickly) and don't spill it on your counter

Member of the ANA since 1982

@MsMorrisine said:
    When you re-post on the us coin forum you will need clearer pictures

Can you have someone close this post now that I reposted @MsMorrisine ?