Home Sports Talk

BAKER

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, after Bakers first play from scrimmage tonight on second possession, if he doesn't turn it around quick........real quick...... I predict that he will be Staffords backup next year......they all in up in L.A......sooner or later.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 picks 1st quarter 🤷‍♂️

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baker just threw a pick and the Browns were in field goal range.

He threw the first one up and literally threw up on the second one. Terrible pass when Landry couldn’t have been any more wide open

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2021 3:17PM

Keets.....got any whiskey in the house?......you might be needing a belt or two after that first quarter!.......Oh, GAWD!.....

edited December 25, 2021 3:24PM

The Packers just cashed in on that Mayfield interception, it's 14-6.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

If

Do they go for 2?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Browns right down the field for a touchdown, 2 pt conversion no good, it's 14-12 Packers lead. I wish Aaron Rodgers would get that hair trimmed, he's very shaggy in the back.

Didn’t think they’d get the 2 but they had to try

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Everyone for GB gets a pick for Christmas!

edited December 25, 2021 4:32PM

Play before 2 minute warning....3rd and 16.......Baker connects.....I would have NEVER called that play.....run the ball!.....oh, well.....go Browns!

P.S......just went back into the TV room....ANOTHER INTERCEPTION!!!!!...... HELP......!!!

It's 24-12, the Browns need to score a touchdown on this drive, they can't afford to settle for a field goal here, not against Rodgers.

They sacked Mayfield again, the Browns have to settle for a field goal, not good.

The Browns get a much needed stop.

Baker was lucky that ball wasn't picked off, he nearly threw his 4th interception.

The Browns are just killing themselves with these false start penalties, just a complete lack of concentration.

Touchdown Browns, it's 24-22 Packers lead with 4:31 to go in the game.

edited December 25, 2021 5:15PM

Man, what the heck has happened to the Packers offense? The Browns get another stop, they're going to get a chance to win this game, here we go!

Omg

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

considering the three Int's it's remarkable that the Browns are in the game right now. not complaining, but they sure haven't had any help from the Officials, just some really, really bad non-calls.

I said after the first Int that to have a CHANCE to win the Browns can't make mistakes, now they have a chance to win it. hold on for the finish!!!

Browns get a FG then Rodgers brings them back for a GW FG.

Made for TV NFL!!!

Potentially Pick #4 or Rookie Kicker misses FG too 🤷‍♂️

edited December 25, 2021 5:23PM

Baker Mayfield just threw a pick, game over, Packers win 24-22.

edited December 25, 2021 5:27PM

go ahead and rag on Mayfield but just don't overlook that non-call on the holding, even the announcers are calling it.

screw the Officials and screw the NFL, they know who they want to win. that was terrible!!

The Browns are just killing themselves with these false start penalties, just a complete lack of concentration

the Browns aren't the ones who need to concentrate, the Officials should try paying attention. one of those killing false starts was clearly offsides on the defensive end, but why call that??

edited December 25, 2021 5:44PM

@keets said:
    go ahead and rag on Mayfield but just don't overlook that non-call on the holding, even the announcers are calling it.

screw the Officials and screw the NFL, they know who they want to win. that was terrible!!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!! The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant knows more about football than all us brainiacs put together. During the entire game she kept saying, "They are not calling penalties on the packers."....... over, and over and over she said that. It came down to that.
    Keets is absolutely correct. Win or lose.....Baker bad or not......that NON CALL on defensive interference SUCKED!

And....I agree....screw the Officials and screw the NFL, they know who they want to win........I figured it out last season (FINALLY!) because of the Bills win over the Rams........IT'S FIXED.

O.k., I'm on a rant.....DD has a thread up something about why people don't like the Cowboys.......why????.... you just saw the reason why if you watched the Browns/Packers.

Blaming a loss on the refs when their QB throws 4 picks? Am I reading this correctly?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2021 5:46PM

the no-call was horrific

but the key is playing better for the first 58 minutes so you won't be put in a position for the refs to screw you when the game is on the line. if he doesn't previously make multiple ill-advised throws, it never would have come to that

bottom line is that the Cleveland Browns minus Baker Mayfield absolutely deserved to win that game

edited December 25, 2021 6:00PM

@perkdog said:
    Blaming a loss on the refs when their QB throws 4 picks? Am I reading this correctly?

I didn't have a dog in that fight.......Either way the officiating in that game was bad. AND......Mayfield is lucky he didn't have SIX picks! It doesn't matter. The Browns got robbed.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winding your way down on Baker Mayfield's street
    light in his head and dead on his feet
    well, a crazy 4 pick day
    He'll drink the night away
    and forget about everything

Another year and then you'd be happy
    just one more year and then you'd be happy
    but you're crying, you're crying now

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

I didn't have a dog in that fight.......Either way the officiating in that game was bad. AND......Mayfield is lucky he didn't have SIX picks! It doesn't matter. The Browns got robbed.

They got robbed by their own because Mayfield threw 4 picks. That’s the bottom line.

It's hard to win any game when your quarterback throws 4 interceptions. You want a game summary, here you go.

Don’t worry though, Emily Mayfield will be tweeting out support for her husband in no time. The question is will she be piling on the refs? or her husband’s teammates?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Two of them directly resulted from uncalled penalties.

edited December 25, 2021 9:43PM

Baker Mayfield threw 4 interceptions. He's lucky that he didn't throw 6. He stunk the joint out. He had a terrible game. Maybe he's no good. I don't care one way or the other. I don't care about the Browns. If they never win another game ever and I don't care.........Bottom line.....the Browns got robbed tonight.

Baker Mayfield is NOT the totality of the Cleveland Browns. There are other players on that team....lots of them. It's NOT just about the quarterback! It never has been, it isn't now, and it never will be.

Fascinating fact about last night's quarterback comparison:

Aaron Rodgers: 4 interceptions this SEASON.

Baker Mayfield: 4 interceptions in ONE GAME.

Browns DB John Johnson III was injured and didn't play last night, but he tweeted this at halftime of last night's game after watching Baker.

"Run the Damn Ball" had less to do with Baker Mayfield and more to do with Kevin Stefanski. that is to say, the choice to run or pass shouldn't have been predicated on how the QB was doing, it should have been a decision based on how the running game was doing. to that end, the Browns last night seemed to be able to run at will against Green Bay. the adage in the NFL is generally keep doing what works until the opponent figures out how to stop you....................unless you happen to be the Cleveland Browns and current play caller, Kevin Stefanski.

to my way of thinking, the off-season decisions the Browns face have less to do with Baker Mayfield and more to do with who should be calling the plays. I am not tuned in to getting rid of Mayfield or Stefanski, I feel they are both good at what they do. I have seen this type of situation before, a QB with a skill set that isn't properly used and a Head Coach who stubbornly refuses to admit he might be in over his head and needs to delegate certain things to other people. this has been my opinion for the better part of this season.

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Ok so we will give him two for free. How about him over throwing his wide open receivers multiple times, also a few that were completed to wide open receivers were still jump to catch balls, that in itself takes away the ability for the receivers to catch and run. It costs them yards time after time. I like Baker and know I’m killing him after watching that game because I can’t stand Rodgers and wanted the Browns to win. Regardless of penalties being “Unfair” the Browns gave that game away.

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Ok so we will give him two for free. How about him over throwing his wide open receivers multiple times, also a few that were completed to wide open receivers were still jump to catch balls, that in itself takes away the ability for the receivers to catch and run. It costs them yards time after time. I like Baker and know I’m killing him after watching that game because I can’t stand Rodgers and wanted the Browns to win. Regardless of penalties being “Unfair” the Browns gave that game away.

Baker also had one throw right to a Green bay defender that hit him in the chest and he dropped it.
    He got lucky on that one. Baker was just off, like you said he missed a lot of receivers. I remember several
    throws with the receiver breaking to Mayfield's right he either led him too far or threw it too far inside.
    But he just came off the covid list and missed a lot of practice time so I guess he couldn't be expected to be perfect.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

This is just a guess but I'm thinking Baker probably has a dream about buying some land,
    maybe settle down in a quiet little town and forget about everything. To me it just seems like
    this winter he might find out that Cleveland just feels so cold, I know its got a lot of people
    but its got no soul, and its taken Baker so long to find out he was wrong when he thought it held everything.
    I think Baker is always going to keep moving because he's a rolling stone.

I could be wrong but those are just my thoughts.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited December 26, 2021 8:31AM

Baker had a bad game with regard to the interceptions, no argument about that. the replay you need to watch is up at ESPN, the final one. the defender grabs the receiver's jersey and actually pulls him backwards, runs past him and intercepts the pass. that single play decided the game.

not one word is said about it during the clip and not one ESPN commentator had a word to say about it. note the legs of the Official at the top of the screen, he is clearly in a position to be looking directly at the defender's outstretched arm and the receivers jersey.

here's a link to the play.
    https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1474904962031398916?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1474904962031398916%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwkyc.com%2Farticle%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2Fbrowns%2Fbrowns-packers-no-call-pass-intereference%2F95-6ac59e7b-d97e-49cc-90a3-dcddbcb51aae

@Darin said:
    This is just a guess but I'm thinking Baker probably has a dream about buying some land,
    maybe settle down in a quiet little town and forget about everything. To me it just seems like
    this winter he might find out that Cleveland just feels so cold, I know its got a lot of people
    but its got no soul, and its taken Baker so long to find out he was wrong when he thought it held everything.

First of all I think the expectations of the Browns was a lot on Mayfield at the start of the season. It comes with the territory of being a first round pick so there is that but let’s say it the way it is that the Defense and running game is legit so the play calling is definitely suspect at best, these guys need to slow the game down and punch Opposing teams in the mouth with a steady diet of Chubb and Hunt when he is healthy, Mayfield throwing 15-20 times is a safe bet if he can get on the same page with his receivers when they are open. Making terrible throws shoots them in the foot like last night. Honestly I can’t see a better situation for Mayfield since like I said they have the stout D and tough running game.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The right move is to let him play out his option year, then franchise tag him.

edited December 26, 2021 10:29AM

even if Cleveland wanted to get rid of him, and I don't think they do, it'll be hard. the last I heard Mayfield is set for three separate surgeries to fix the injuries he's sustained this season, left shoulder, left foot and right knee. he really made three bad throws last night, but two of them had uncalled penalties and on the third the receiver fell down.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 10:35AM

Let’s put Baker Mayfield talk in simple words.
    Number One Draft choice overall

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not ready to change QB yet. Unless they can trade straight up for Rodgers. BTW the Browns are not yet out of it.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

First of all I think the expectations of the Browns was a lot on Mayfield at the start of the season. It comes with the territory of being a first round pick so there is that but let’s say it the way it is that the Defense and running game is legit so the play calling is definitely suspect at best, these guys need to slow the game down and punch Opposing teams in the mouth with a steady diet of Chubb and Hunt when he is healthy, Mayfield throwing 15-20 times is a safe bet if he can get on the same page with his receivers when they are open. Making terrible throws shoots them in the foot like last night. Honestly I can’t see a better situation for Mayfield since like I said they have the stout D and tough running game.

perkdog, thanks you made my day. :p
    My goal with that post was pretty much to get a serious response to it.
    Its all from the song 'Baker street' by Gerry Raferty.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

perkdog, thanks you made my day. :p
    My goal with that post was pretty much to get a serious response to it.
    Its all from the song 'Baker street' by Gerry Raferty.

Haha I figured it was from a song but had no idea which one, I will look that tune up now so thank you!

Aldo part of your post warranted a response, I actually feel bad for Baker, the kid really wants to be great and gives it his all.

The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant thinks that Baker's main focus is on making television commercials........I agree.