Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What company would you recommend for collectors insurance?

Curious if anyone has any experience with any type of collectors insurance. What are the costs vs levels of coverage. Has anyone ever had to file a claim and how was that experience? I see a lot of companies online claiming to have the best coverage but coverage is only good when you need it. Looking for a reputable company that offers coverage for several types of collectibles under the same policy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options

collect insure. merry christmas!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there really is anyone other than CollectInsure.com that specializes in cards+. I just used them for some CSG subs that got jacked by Fedex ground on the way back to me, got PSA values, though it was a sub $1k claim.

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your responses. I saw collectinsure and even went to their site but I wanted to get a few opinions before I bought anything.

Much appreciated,
    Paul

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree on collectinsure.

However, read the fine print though as loss isn’t covered. If a random “cleaning lady or repair person” (no judgements intended here), lifts a card, can’t really claim without forced entry or proof of break-in / theft.

Heck if your unpopular 3rd cousin walks off with your nice card, no recourse.

Cameras may be good idea as a primary / secondary protection.

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I use a one hour fire rated safe with cameras and door sensors on the room its in.. If go any where I make sure to always have my phone with me in case I get an alert. The safe is also good for storing documents and anything else you have of value.

• Options

@dtsagent9 said:
    I use a one hour fire rated safe with cameras and door sensors on the room its in.. If go any where I make sure to always have my phone with me in case I get an alert. The safe is also good for storing documents and anything else you have of value.

But what do you use for insurance for a 2 hour fire or a thief who takes the safe with them?

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

But what do you use for insurance for a 2 hour fire or a thief who takes the safe with them?

The safe is bolted to the ground and is 750 pounds. its not getting carried anywhere and no house fire last 2 hours.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Great to have insurance; but has anyone had to do a claim?? I've never heard of anyone doing a claim.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    Great to have insurance; but has anyone had to do a claim?? I've never heard of anyone doing a claim.

Interested in experiences on that side too. I have insurance and dealing with them has always been fast and easy - but have never had to make a claim.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@Mickey71 said:

Interested in experiences on that side too. I have insurance and dealing with them has always been fast and easy - but have never had to make a claim.

Yes, it's how they react in tough times is how insurance companies are measured.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

I did make a claim 2 months back per my post above.... Was low value though

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 1:32PM

I made a claim in 1993 through State Farm on a 1957 Frank Robinson, 1958 Sandy Koufax and a
    1956 Topps Willie Mays. I was paid the amount of the cards at the time of purchase.
    No problem but the insurance is much too high for me now. My collection is not as valuable as it once was as I had to liquidate the best of my collection for my late wife’s care.

If they still insure cards I would recommend them on only my past history with them.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dtsagent9 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

The safe is bolted to the ground and is 750 pounds. its not getting carried anywhere and no house fire last 2 hours.

That is actually not the case. While a large safe is a must own to deter depending on how they are installed they are not that hard to remove. Thieves us straps for leverage. Torches, etc... Now if it's a large quality safe that is bolted into concrete, steel, etc... and surrounded on 3 sides then it gets tough.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@dtsagent9 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

That is actually not the case. While a large safe is a must own to deter depending on how they are installed they are not that hard to remove. Thieves us straps for leverage. Torches, etc... Now if it's a large quality safe that is bolted into concrete, steel, etc... and surrounded on 3 sides then it gets tough.

Get 2 safes bolt them down. Insure to keep one of them very visible in a main bedroom closet. Leave them empty and keep all your valuable cards in a plain ol' kitchen drawer.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Cakes said:

@dtsagent9 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

Get 2 safes bolt them down. Insure to keep one of them very visible in a main bedroom closet. Leave them empty and keep all your valuable cards in a plain ol' kitchen drawer.

That would require me having to dig them all up from my backyard. :D

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Cakes said:

@dtsagent9 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

That would require me having to dig them all up from my backyard. :D

You wouldn’t just happen to live on “Oak Island” would you??

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@Mickey71 said:

I did make a claim 2 months back per my post above.... Was low value thoug> @Cakes said:

@dtsagent9 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@dtsagent9 said:

Did I mention I have a house alarm system with 6 cameras outside with motion censors and 5 cameras inside the house with motion censors with one of the cameras pointing directly at the safe that wieghs 750 pounds and is bolted to the ground that is concrete. Also have censors on all the doors and windows. If someone gets my cards I'll tip my cap to them because they earned it. LOL