Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I bought a coin on a whim and now can't locate any information about it.

I liked the looks of this coin and a bit about what it represents, so I purchased it. Now I can't find any prior sales and google isn't helpful (I am perhaps seeking information and not applying the correct search).
Any tidbits of details about it would be appreciated!

I don't normally post on this forum so I hope my request is not out of line.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it commemorates the beginning of the end of any type of democracy in Hong Kong.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

As it says on the slab, it's not a "coin", but a "mint medal". Hong Kong doesn't have its own mint, so presumably it was minted by the Chinese government mint.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch. Yes, not legal tender.
    I'll continue my search for details on this one.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celebration of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, 庆祝中华人民共和国香港特别行政区成立 (Qìngzhù Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Xiānggǎng Tèbié Xíngzhèngqū Chénglì) 10 Yuan is the denomination. Looks to be Cu and Bronze. Hope that helps. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Celebration of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, 庆祝中华人民共和国香港特别行政区成立 (Qìngzhù Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Xiānggǎng Tèbié Xíngzhèngqū Chénglì) 10 Yuan is the denomination. Looks to be Cu and Bronze. Hope that helps. Peace Roy

No, it's not a 10 yuan coin. It has some similarities to this 1997 Hong Kong Handover 10 yuan coin and this 1997 Hong Kong Constitution coin, but the metals are different (copper ring, aluminium-bronze centre), the reverse has the Great Wall, and there is no mark of denomination.

The Chinese text quoted by Roy is the text that appears on the actual coins, but the text on this medal is different.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops! Der Google threw me a curve ball and I missed.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

It arrived today, and I am impressed with how pretty it is. The brass and copper are much brighter and proof-like than I expected. Thanks, guys, for all the information. You are much appreciated!

peacockcoins

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Sure is a beauty whatever it is.