Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

this blows my mind..

a 1977 topps nolan ryan psa 9 pop 275 pop 7 psa 10, sales for about the same as a 1977 opc psa 9 ryan pop 19 no 10's

1979 topps ryan psa 9 pop 750 sales for double the amount of 1979 opc psa pop 55. this is just down right crazy.

i know i will catch flack about demand blah blah blah.

the 1977 opc psa 9 is one of nolan's hardest cards to have graded a 9. no 10's. and if you paid double for a topps 1979 over an opc, you might want to consider researching a little. the topps card is obviously extremely plentiful. and really has nowhere to go but be stagnant or go down.

this post is about investment.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure it does.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

It's interesting to me because the whole industry is heavy in to variants now. But, when you look at the way these cards are valued by collectors. The Topps and OPC variants. It contradicts the way collectors value modern cards.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    a 1977 topps nolan ryan psa 9 pop 275 pop 7 psa 10, sales for about the same as a 1977 opc psa 9 ryan pop 19 no 10's

1979 topps ryan psa 9 pop 750 sales for double the amount of 1979 opc psa pop 55. this is just down right crazy.

i know i will catch flack about demand blah blah blah.

the 1977 opc psa 9 is one of nolan's hardest cards to have graded a 9. no 10's. and if you paid double for a topps 1979 over an opc, you might want to consider researching a little. the topps card is obviously extremely plentiful. and really has nowhere to go but be stagnant or go down.

this post is about investment.

I would have to agree with you completely!

The cards in my Killebrew Master set that "need" upgrading the most (other than Venezuelan, of course) are the OPC's.

Yes, the reason for the disparity is demand, but if I were an investor (I'm not), I would certainly buy a 1977 OPC Ryan over the Topps at the same price.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be happy you are not paying topps prices for cards you love. Enjoy

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Are OPC cards allowed to fill holes in Topps registry sets? No? Oh, okay... Merry Christmas!

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

everyone charges more for opc, if you can find them. even raw. try looking up sets.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@handyman said:

everyone charges more for opc, if you can find them. even raw. try looking up sets.

Except in the case of the 1979 Nolan Ryan, per your original post.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@handyman said:

Both were auctions. on the buy it now market, rarely are you going to find a raw opc card selling for less than a topps. Check out Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, George Brett.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

THE 1977 Sanguillen opc is a completely different picture than the 1977 Topps

• Options

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@handyman said:

Both were auctions. on the buy it now market, rarely are you going to find a raw opc card selling for less than a topps. Check out Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, George Brett.

So then what was the point of your original post? Besides, what do you mean by “selling for”? List prices or actual completed sales. I hope you’re aware that list prices don’t mean squat.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@handyman said:

So then what was the point of your original post? Besides, what do you mean by “selling for”? List prices or actual completed sales. I hope you’re aware that list prices don’t mean squat.

List price means nothing, correct. So i guess just wait and see when the next opc brett, opc yount, opc winfield, opc mantle, opc aaron, etc. come to auction. It's hard to find psa 8's and higher of any of these and rarely are they auctions.