Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can the CAC Sticker DROP the value of an old holder MS60?

2»

Comments

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine a coin being stickered and being worth less, considering how the CAC approval rate is low to begin with. If anything it would be a wash. If someone thinks the grade is wrong, why would the sticker dissuade them from a resubmission?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mavs2583 said:
    I can't imagine a coin being stickered and being worth less, considering how the CAC approval rate is low to begin with. If anything it would be a wash. If someone thinks the grade is wrong, why would the sticker dissuade them from a resubmission?

Because if someone thinks the coin might be under-graded and it has a green sticker, as opposed to a gold one, it might affect their perception of the coin. That could make it worth less (than an un-stickered one) in their mind.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@mavs2583 said:

Because if someone thinks the coin might be under-graded and it has a green sticker, as opposed to a gold one, it might affect their perception of the coin. That could make it worth less (than an un-stickered one) in their mind.

So in essence, they're using the modern sticker as a current market condition for how it would grade if it were resubmitted. If so, seems like the buyer is buying based on the sticker slab and not the coin. Anecdotally, I can't recall a CAC selling for less than a non-CAC bearing coin, can't imagine this being too common.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d change your wording to “..how the coin might grade...”

Some buyers make their decisions based upon the coin, others, based upon the holder and/or sticker and still others, based upon a combination of those.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had an invitation to play Blindfolded Nude Twister this afternoon with all the members of SCOTUS,

It won't be pretty, and no one will be able to talk intelligently about it, but at least they'll be laughing at those who think they are having an intelligent conversation about it. They have invited Prof. Irwin Corey to explicate. Illogical logorrhea is likely to occur. "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was..."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, a coin is just a coin.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Sometimes, a coin is just a coin.

And all coins are a Rorschach test.

The same is also true of many coin discussions.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    A MS60 coin with a CAC sticker at least tells the potential buyer that CAC feels it's a true mint state coin rather than a super-slider that somehow made it into a MS slab...

Agree. The bean provides comfort it’s MS. I don’t believe TPGs grade MS60 as frequently as in the past. Gut would say the coin grades 61 or 62 if cracked out.

So great question; but think the economics is opposite of OP’s sentiment, I think the bean is beneficial on older slabbed coins and increase perceived value, not drop.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the nicest MS60 I have.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file