Home Sports Talk
Options

Forgotten players

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are some of your favorite NFL players or other athletes, guys that don't get mentioned a lot around here but you loved watching them play.

Comments

• Options

Before there was James Harrison, there was Greg Lloyd.

• Options

He was a beast.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Greg Lloyd, he was a menace.

• Options

Icky Woods. Anyone remember the “Icky Shuffle” ?

• Options
    edited December 22, 2021 5:48PM

How about Marion Butts? I used to love listening to Chris Berman highlighting one of his runs

• Options

Another Charger great, Natrone Means

• Options

@perkdog said:

I was about to mention Natrone Means! 😂😂

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I was about to mention Natrone Means! 😂😂

Ofcourse you were! He was awesome

• Options

And of course you can't mention Greg Lloyd without mentioning Kevin Greene.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 9:00AM

So many.....so, so many. People focus on the here and now. Hype, hype, hype. Favorite teams, etc.......So many good ballplayers........ nobody remembers them.....it doesn't matter......

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teddy Bruschi & Lawyer Milloy were two of my favorite former Pats players and then Randall Cunningham & Brian Dawkins were a couple ex-Eagles players that I liked watching back in the day.

• Options

I always liked Ben Coates. And those uniforms

• Options

Hmm, Darrell Green of the Redskins, he was lightning fast, I still remember when he ran down Tony Dorsett.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry Izzo made special teams "extra special" when he was out there! I just loved watching him do his thing! The man was a heat seeking missile!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many people remember one of the state of Kansas' all time greatest athletes, Nolan Cromwell.
    Tremendous high school athlete excelled in track and football and I think also basketball.
    Went to KU and was their QB, beat a No. 1 ranked Oklahoma team. if I remember he mostly ran the
    ball, not that great of a passer. Set several KU records in the Decathlon and hurdles.
    Went to the NFL and was a safety for the Rams for 11 years made the pro bowl four years straight.
    Don't think I've ever heard him mentioned on the sports talk forum.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2021 9:50PM

One of my favorite Chiefs of all time, Deron Cherry. He always seemed to be in the right place at
    the right time for a big tackle or a pick. I loved watching him play and another guy he played with
    Albert Lewis wasn't too shabby either.
    Deron Cherry- 6 straight pro bowl appearances.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved watching Chris Cooley. Beast of a tight end for a few years.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Bruce Matthews, a big guy, could really line up anywhere on the offensive line, center, guard, only Tom Brady has made more pro bowls than Bruce Matthews.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2021 3:31AM

This guy was awesome, had he not gotten injured or played in todays NFL he would have been one of the top tier all time receivers in my opinion.

Sterling Sharpe

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember mel gray was a great kick returner for the lions for a number of years.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Also, Barry foster had a great year or two as RB for the steelers.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Also, Barry foster had a great year or two as RB for the steelers.

Great choice! I forgot about him

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

1989 Defensive Player of the Year. Keith Millard was a beast; had 18 sacks that year at Defensive Tackle (a record for that position that stood until Aaron Donald broke it). A few side notes 1) Millard did not even lead the team that year - Chris Doleman had 21 sacks, 2) that year the Vikings had the second most ever as a team in NFL history and 3) the front four for the Vikings had 59½ sacks that year.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

speaking of stud Vikings, i saw enough of this guy (as a Bears fan) to know that he was one

he suffered from dementia in his final years and his neurologist said the symptoms were likely from CTE

RIP Matt Blair

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred Smerlas

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I remember mel gray was a great kick returner for the lions for a number of years.

I loved watching Mel Gray! You knew the possibility of him going to the house existed every time he was lined up waiting for the kick. I didn't see much of the Lions on tv during his years there but I was glued to the tv every Thanksgiving to see Mr Gray in action!

• Options

Bill Bates. Another special teams guru! Guy had a knack for always being at the right place at the right time!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting cards around 86-87 (86 Fleer BKB/86 Topps FB/87 Topps BB/87 Topps HKY) and with so many 49ers games shown on the East Coast back then got to see a lot of Roger Craig. I thought his 1K rushing/1K receiving '85 season was pretty incredible and this was one of my favorite cards of his.

• Options

Steve McNair and Eddie George were fun to watch in their prime.

• Options

Mike Alstott, the big power fullback was a joy to watch.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I loved watching Chris Berman describing a Mike Alstott run!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@doubledragon said:

I loved watching Chris Berman describing a Mike Alstott run!

Yes, very dramatic!

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I nominate the real Mel Gray, the one who played an actual position. He's so forgotten, people can write about the fake Mel Gray and not even mention him.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

the mike alstott post made me remember Craig "iron head" heyward. now that was a guy I wouldn't want to stand in front of.

• Options

another pass rusher i don't hear mentioned too much was Richard dent. he was a beast with those 80s bears

• Options

Mr Offerdahl was a shining star on some not so shining Dolphins teams.

• Options

Another Dolphins LB AJ Duhe, what a player and real nice guy too. Met him while working in his neighborhood about 20 years ago. He was out walking his cat on a leash, yes that's correct, walking his cat on a leash! Very down to earth guy in talking with him for a few minutes.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Dante Hall, he was called "the human joystick" for a reason, he could make you look foolish.

In all fairness, I think this guy Double Dragon did an entire thread on him one time.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:
    Dante Hall, he was called "the human joystick" for a reason, he could make you look foolish.

In all fairness, I think this guy Double Dragon did an entire thread on him one time.

Yes, but that was a long time ago, back when I was a teenager. I was young back then, and didn't know any better. 🤔

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2021 7:37PM

STEELERS Lloyd and Greene were fun to watch. Lloyd hurt alot of players with his hard hits, especially QB's. He also took out Emmitt Smith in the Super bowl, and Smith didnt play the rest of the game.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21