Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Undervalued rookies..

2»

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Galarraga and baines are a decent comaprison hitting wise. both were very good.

By OPS+ neither was in the top 350. below the likes of Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, Jay Buhner, and Bobby Murcer, to pick four more or less at random. 20% above average doesn't scream "very good". Both are somewhere around the 80th percentile of players with 3000 PA. If we say "Very Good" is approximately top 10%, FWIW, we draw the line somewhere Kent Hrbek and Bob Watson. 5% would be Will and Jack Clark.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@olb31 said:
    galarraga anyone?

The stat guys are going to argue that he had his best years in hitters parks and still isn't a good enough hitter.

Anyone with a lifetime .288 BA to go along with a .500 SLG would be ok with me. Walks to sluggers are over rated in my book. He was primarily a #4 or #5 hitter in the lineup, he was there to drive in runs and not take walks.

I didn't see him play much, but heard he was a great fielder too.

Seems that he would fall a bit short of the HOF?

A slightly higher peak, but ultimately a lot like Baines.

Yes, with Galarraga a much better fielder, by what I have heard. Baines didn't play much in the field after his first 7 seasons.

I suppose. It doesn't take much to be a better fielder than Baines. Galarraga was a below average fielder at the easiest position.

I had always heard he was a good fielder, didn't they call him "the big cat" because he was so smooth? He did win a couple of GG, so somebody must have thought he was good.

BTW I don't care either way, my only point is he was able to play a position and Baines (apparently) was a DH for most of his career.

I wouldn't put either in the HOF, but if I had to put one of the two in, it would be Galarragah.

Baines getting in doesn't make any sense to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set