Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Going for a uniform avatar / profile picture across all social platforms

In honor of the shutout pitched last night

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options

Always nice to see Benedict Arnold Brady humbled in front of a national audience! Yes, I am a Patriots fan...

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Always nice to see Benedict Arnold Brady humbled in front of a national audience! Yes, I am a Patriots fan...

I am a life long Pats fan, since way before Brady. But please explain what exactly makes him Benedict Arnold.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

I am a life long Pats fan, since way before Brady. But please explain what exactly makes him Benedict Arnold.

He should have retired rather than sign with another team? Especially the Pats top rivals?

• Options

He left the Pats because they wouldn't give him a three year contract worth 30 million a year. Understandable, since QB's tend to suddenly fall off a cliff when they're around 40 or so (2010 Brett Favre, 2015 Peyton Manning). The guy was making 20 million a year and his wife takes in 40 million a year. How much money does he really need?

Carl Yastrzemski played all 23 years with the Red Sox. He could have gone elsewhere, but stayed with the Red Sox for less money. Same for Larry Bird, Ted Williams, John Havlicek, Bill Russell and so on. Brady went from GOAT to donkey by leaving.

Brady got the last laugh and has had two more great seasons, but was last night's game a sign of things to come? If Brady falls off the cliff this season or next, then the Pats were right in the long run. Only time will tell, but he ruined his legacy here in New England by leaving. Greed is good, right Tom?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

He should have retired rather than sign with another team? Especially the Pats top rivals?

How can anybody tell anybody else when they “should” retire? The Pats did absolutely the right thing by not offering big money over 3 years to somebody his age, coming off a mediocre season. But how is he disloyal for taking that same contract when another franchise offered it? I don’t think either side was wrong. It pains me greatly to see Tom in a different uniform, but I just don’t understand the traitor talk.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:

Carl Yastrzemski played all 23 years with the Red Sox. He could have gone elsewhere, but stayed with the Red Sox for less money. Same for Larry Bird, Ted Williams, John Havlicek, Bill Russell and so on. Brady went from GOAT to donkey by leaving.

Wow! This is so obviously incorrect it's stunning. I can't find reliable salary information for much of the latter part of Yastrzemski's career so I can't verify that claim, but there was no free agency during Williams' career or that of the older basketball players. And surely you've heard of "Larry Bird rights".

Babe Ruth was a traitor for leaving the Yankees to play for the Braves.

• Options

Wow, can you be any more obnoxious? The Yankees tried to sign Yaz after the 1982 season, but he turned them down to stay with the Red Sox. I believe it was Ken Harrelson who got the scoop on that story.

Wow, your take on the "Larry Bird rights" is so obviously incorrect it's stunning! The "Larry Bird rights" you're referring to had to do with exceeding the salary cap to re-sign a player and nothing to do with keeping a player on the team against his will. Bird definitely had the ability to leave the Celtics. Do some research before you make rude comments.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, Mr Tim does not speak for New England.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

When Joe Montana left the 49ers we 49ers fans continued to support our 49ers but also respected how much Joe did for the 49ers by continuing to support and respect him while on a different team.

• Options

I guess I'm just too old for hero worship. What he did was crap on New England fans, period. Hopefully, he'll be washed up after this season and Mac Jones will be around for the next 20 years.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    He left the Pats because they wouldn't give him a three year contract worth 30 million a year. Understandable, since QB's tend to suddenly fall off a cliff when they're around 40 or so (2010 Brett Favre, 2015 Peyton Manning). The guy was making 20 million a year and his wife takes in 40 million a year. How much money does he really need?

Brady got the last laugh and has had two more great seasons, but was last night's game a sign of things to come? If Brady falls off the cliff this season or next, then the Pats were right in the long run. Only time will tell, but he ruined his legacy here in New England by leaving. Greed is good, right Tom?

If the Pats knew this would happen, they would've signed him. It was a dumb thing to bet against Brady.

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Wow, can you be any more obnoxious? The Yankees tried to sign Yaz after the 1982 season, but he turned them down to stay with the Red Sox. I believe it was Ken Harrelson who got the scoop on that story.

Wow, your take on the "Larry Bird rights" is so obviously incorrect it's stunning! The "Larry Bird rights" you're referring to had to do with exceeding the salary cap to re-sign a player and nothing to do with keeping a player on the team against his will. Bird definitely had the ability to leave the Celtics. Do some research before you make rude comments.

It's good to know that, whoever you are, you have a sense of humor.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Another lifelong Pats fan here (pre bandwagon, grew up with Steve Grogan and Tony Eason) that wishes TB12 nothing but the best. He’s no traitor.

It’s the season of miracles, so perhaps I’ll agree with MisterTim on some topic soon.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely older than you dating back to the Rod Rust, Ron Earnhardt eras. No fanboy worship here. Brady brought six Super Bowl wins. Something I never thought could be accomplished. Did that make you happy?? How many did you need?

@MisterTim1962 said:

I guess I'm just too old for hero worship. What he did was crap on New England fans, period. Hopefully, he'll be washed up after this season and Mac Jones will be around for the next 20 years.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no Brady fan, but I think Mr. Tim is just trying to hold a consistency to his contrarianism as witnessed by the George Brett thread. Just a note to add once Brady leaves Tampa they will once again be irrelevant to Saints fan. Not our rival, the only reason why the twice annual games have any juice is because of TB12.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Did that make you happy?? How many did you need?

More than six...