Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is your most outrageous card or memorabilia story?

I was at a large card show a few years back and this dealer has a binder on his table with a sign on it saying “vintage cards, $10.00 each.” I was trying to complete my topps run of all the base yankee cards so I looked through and there were some that I needed which were 1960s high number and minor stars which I knew sold for about $50 each. I thought it was going to be a good day and I pulled about 5 or 6 out and was going to give him The money when he looked at the cards and started to yell at me for trying to rip him off. He was yelling that these cards were worth way more than $10 each. I pointed to his price tag on the binder stating the cards were $10.00 each. He said that some of them were going to cost me more and that only some were that price. I told him to mark his binder better and walked away.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

Dealers like that suck. I've dealt with that type too. It's too bad that idiots like that stick in our memories as much as (or sometimes more than) the numerous honest dealers we've gotten great deals from and continue to support.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the kind of guy who wont be around for long in our current environment. If you are a jerk to people face to face, there are too many online options for people to have to deal with that. I would have walked away as well.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

the dealer with the most negative stories i have heard is Mr. Mint. by all accounts he was a terrible guy to do deals with. there is an old youtube video with him disrespecting an old guy in Wisconsin almost constantly. a terrible display. and to think he thought it was a good look to release on youtube.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

In the early days of Ebay, I purchased several sports magazines from a seller for something like $50. The magazines came in a large yellow paper envelope with no protection at all even though I had paid decent money for shipping. I left a negative feedback for the crappy packaging and the seller retaliated by giving me negative feedback and he/she also sent me an email that said "FU, I've got your money." Ebay was quite the learning experience back then.