Home Sports Talk
Options

Harbaugh goes for two again!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ravens went for two again and didn't get it against the Packers, unbelievable.

Comments

• Options

It was 31-30 Packers lead with 42 seconds to go in the game, and Harbaugh went for two.

• Options

Packers win, 31-30.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD, you beat me to it...........................John Harbaugh strikes again. if I was a Baltimore fan I'd want to lynch the guy, as a Cleveland fan I can hardly contain my joy!! please, someone, anyone, explain to me how that was the thing to do?? Baltimore had the momentum, their defense was stopping the Packers and their offense was moving down the field almost at will.

here's what you do: use Justin Tucker and tie the game, go to OT and win.

what a moron Harbaugh is, I can't believe he did it again.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much for lesson learned..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@keets said:
    DD, you beat me to it...........................John Harbaugh strikes again. if I was a Baltimore fan I'd want to lynch the guy, as a Cleveland fan I can hardly contain my joy!! please, someone, anyone, explain to me how that was the thing to do?? Baltimore had the momentum, their defense was stopping the Packers and their offense was moving down the field almost at will.

here's what you do: use Justin Tucker and tie the game, go to OT and win.

what a moron Harbaugh is, I can't believe he did it again.

That's two losses he cost his team, I thought for sure he would take it into OT, nope.

• Options

after the Pittsburgh game I said he might have cost them home-field in the playoffs. with this one he may have cost them the playoffs, period. Baltimore vs. Cincinnati next week just turned into must watch NFL action.

• Options

overlooked because of the missed two-point attempt is the other bonehead call --- going for it on 4th and five from your own 29 yard line. that resulted in a GB field goal which is what made the two point attempt even necessary.

right now on the post game show the talking heads are arguing about "play calling" on the failed attempt. I don't know how the mentality has shifted to all these 4th down attempts and two point attempts. if Teams would focus on playing sound football they wouldn't have to rely on gambling with "analytics" to make their win-or-lose decisions,

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand this one.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

just insane. i dont understand

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the easy points!!!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2021 7:54PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I don't understand this one.

m

I think perhaps the ego of the coach over rides the reality of the situation.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

“… and had a better shot to win a 50/50 game in overtime.”

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t want someone doing in the head calculations over game decisions if their logic includes being on the better side of a 50/50 game

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I/E = S
    E/I = C

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2021 8:11PM

Here is why it's puzzling to me

If they make the two it doesn't win the game. It isn't game over. Rodgers still has 42 seconds to get into FG range with time outs

If they kick the XP Rodgers has 42 seconds to get into FG range with time outs

Both of those scenarios require stopping Rodgers from getting in FG range. By missing the two point conversion it means game over .

If it was the last play of the game I could see it. Do our die to win it but that just wasn't the case

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Sorry Defense - I don't have any faith in you - we're going for 2"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Here is why it's puzzling to me

If they make the two it doesn't win the game. It isn't game over. Rodgers still has 42 seconds to get into FG range with time outs

If they kick the XP Rodgers has 42 seconds to get into FG range with time outs

Both of those scenarios require stopping Rodgers from getting in FG range. By missing the two point conversion it means game over .

If it was the last play of the game I could see it. Do our die to win it but that just wasn't the case

m

And this is exactly why I don’t approve of the call. If it was a walk off win situation if you get the 2 then sure.

Either way I’m glad Baltimore lost. I can’t stand Harbaugh or the Ravens

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I grew up in Baltimore -- used to be a great city -- now it's a shit hole -- the shit has leaked into Harbaugh's brain.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

This is one of the big problems with over use of "analytics". All the conversion calculations take into consideration the possibility of a kicker missing an extra point. The NFL average is 94% chance of success. Justin Tucker, possibly the best kicker in NFL history, converts them at a 99% rate. Entering this game the Ravens were 2 for 7 on the season in 2 point conversion attempts. For this team, the only rational choice would have been kick for the tie and take your chances again in OT (Crosby vs Tucker?). Another issue with overusing analytics is that once opponents can readily predict your risk appetite, they can employ counter strategies in practice, and during the game. Maybe the Packers, knowing the Ravens play nail biters every week, spent half their practice and film room time perfecting their defense to stop the predictable Mark Andrew's goal line route to the right? That's also probably why Aaron Rodgers was smirking after the game.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

What we are witnessing is a glitch in the system/matrix/machine of Harbaugh. It is a battle of Instincts versus analytics, and caught in between is a coach who suddenly cannot process the information properly, even when everyone else can. He mentally vacillates. And finally the decisions become egregiously nonsensical.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why have a head coach if he is going to use “Anylitics” for his decision making

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the game... no comment on the decision as I was not there to experience the circumstances. I did see the replay... Seems there was an open Ravens receiver deeper in the end zone moving in the same direction. Not sure why that receiver was overlooked instead of forcing a pass into a crowd. The execution was simply underwhelming.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I love these threads.
    Baltimore's coach, Cleveland, Arizona, Chicago, even Tampa getting shutout.
    I remember the days when the Chiefs were 3-4 and everyone who posts here, okay maybe a few exceptions,
    were absolutely roasting them.
    Things sure can change in seven short weeks. B)

• Options

Seems there was an open Ravens receiver deeper in the end zone moving in the same direction. Not sure why that receiver was overlooked instead of forcing a pass into a crowd. The execution was simply underwhelming.

this is spoken with the perspective of an announcer or a fan who has the luxury of hindsight and several moments of isolation instant replay. back in the real world, Lamar Jackson had a mere blink of his eyes to make decisions and most likely when he made a decision the aforementioned "wide-open" receiver in the back of the end zone..............wasn't.

I tried to bring up this very point at the end of OBJ's tenure with the Browns. plays are drawn up, rehearsed and executed until they become ingrained as muscle memory exercises. when a QB knows where everyone is going prior to the snap, all he can do is look in that spot and make a decision. to that end, OBJ had a habit of playing "his own game" and simply didn't go where Mayfield presumed he should be, on to the next guy.

that sort of scenario is really intensified in the end zone from inside the five, nowhere for receivers to go and no time for a QB to think. as RobM said above, Jackson's go-to guy is always Andrews, all Baltimore really has is Andrews catching and Jackson running with things supplemented by other guys sometimes. Lamar Jackson will always look for Andrews and to his credit, Mark Andrews is always where he's supposed to be.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exact same play failed the week before. At the snap the safety sprinted toward Andrews knowing the play. If you are 2 for 7 at least get creative. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamar Jackson missed the Packers game. I do understand part of your point in that it is easy... very easy... to be a Monday morning QB. However, most plays have a plan b component in the event the play is not developing as scripted. The decision to scrap the initial call clearly is a judgment call... but it was also the anticipated call and was well defended.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

It was a bad throw. Andrews was open (as defined in the NFL). A throw to the outside shoulder would have worked as Andrews could have simply boxed out the CB.

Robb