Home Q & A Forum
Options

Cardboard Coin Protecter's?

Any preference as to where to find to purchase?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prime or EBay. Generally, you need four sizes for US coins. Cent/dime, quarter/nickel, half, dollar. And a flat stapler. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Pardon. What is a flat stapler?

• Options

@charlesf20 regular staples are curved when applied and bent to closure. The bend protrudes and can cause damage. Flat staples are...well...flat against the paper, no raised metal. Flat stapled flips stack better, fit into pocket pages better and make the world a kinder place.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Aha.

• Options

................................back to the drawing board...Prime or EBay, right?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't find a flat stapler and you only have a curved stapler this is a solution to that. Get a set of pliers and you can smash the curve down into the cardboard flip and it will be like a flat staple until you can what you need. I use is a set of pliers that I bought when I did leaded glass and they are slapped on both sides without grooves that the normal set of pliers has.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

I just realized that there are clear plastic folders that should hold most sizes of coins..........I'm off to
    search.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Make sure to get PVC-plastic holders (often called “flips”) to avoid the damage that PVC does to coins. Many good coins have been deeply compromised by PVC damage. Brands like Saf-Flip or others that are explicitly non-PVC will do the trick. This type is a little stiff to the touch and a tad pricier, but will not hurt your coins.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

@Bailathacl said:
    Make sure to get PVC-plastic holders (often called “flips”) to avoid the damage that PVC does to coins. Many good coins have been deeply compromised by PVC damage. Brands like Saf-Flip or others that are explicitly non-PVC will do the trick. This type is a little stiff to the touch and a tad pricier, but will not hurt your coins.

How do I know if the one that was sent to me is safe? Or I don't, it looks nice it folds making a two pouch coin holder.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

If it is soft and pliable there is a good chance it may have PVC. No way to know for certain unless you acquired the coin from a trustworthy source or supplied the non-PVC flip yourself. Stiff and brittle are more reassuring when I doubt.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

Well they appear to be a little stiff & brittle

• Options

Thinking of going back to the original plan. Any problems with them little cardboard wrappers
    or there plastic circle cover to be concerned about other than having to purchase a flat staple gun for them?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the cardboard 2x2s for most everything worth under $50. I flatten the staples with a pair of pliers and have had no problems after thousands of coins. I still have 2x2s from when I was a kid 50 years ago (my penmanship left a lot to be desired back then)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I've taken to labelling the paper flips with my p-touch. Using small font, can get lots of info on both sides, looks professional too. Peace Roy