Home Q & A Forum
Options

Coin thickness as an indicator of authenticity

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I got out a Sure Safe Peace Dollar holder and immediately noticed a coin (the one in the middle) that is considerably thinner than the rest. It's a 1923-S. Is this.....normal?? At second glance, I see another in the holder (a 1922-P) that is thinner but not to the extreme as the former. I know coins are supposed to be within a weight tolerance but how could a coin this thin meet that tolerance? I don't yet have the eye for other indicators and I don't yet have the equipment for full photo's. Comments appreciated.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

No scale?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim thickness can be influenced by striking pressure, set up distance between dies, parallelism between the two die faces, die alignment, and probably other things. All of these parameters can vary from die to die depending on how the technician does the set up.

IMO, there are just too many mint controlled variables to make thickness a useful measure. Plus, if it's thinner, you should see it on the weight.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get thyself to Harbor Freight and snag a digital scale for $10, you can thank us later. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Understood. Get a scale. Ohhh Santa....

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy an electronic caliper ( I bought 1 at Harbor freight for around $10) You can then check the thickness and diameter specs rather easily. I use mine on peace and morgans. I have found a few fake coins this way. Buy a small scale and check the weight. The specs are Wt- 26.73 gm / Diameter - 38.10 mm / and thickness- 2.40 mm. Good luck.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note: When I checked the thickness, the fake coins thickness was in excess of the spec. I do not know how a coin can get thicker after leaving the mint.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just know that a press set up can leave one part of a coin thicker than another.

Really, a scale would settle it to a fraction of a gram

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

Some mints in some series come thicker. Like S and W ATB quarters are thicker than P and D mint.