Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about wax box

Hello. I would like to know when people here buy wax boxes from any yr what the price where you won't open it. Like exp 2020 topps chrome wax box you brought for say $200 you open or putting it away. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tjhorn92tjhorn92 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Hello - for me it depends on a few things. I generally buy wax/cello/rack/vending from 1978-1985 for baseball. And a little hockey from the same period. If the box has great nostalgia value then I may open regardless. I love the rush of opening and I love the flood of memories it provides. I have some 78,79, and 80 stuff that I am likely to save for a few years and then revisit my opening strategy. Most of what I am saving is FASC.

However if I open the right bottle of tequila and have the right friends over, then anything is possible!

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 6:57PM

I buy stuff with the intent of opening it, or not opening it. I was trying to put together a complete set of 1980-1989 regular issue unopened boxes for a while (ended up about 15-20 oddballs short - mostly rack box/case and wrapper variations) so that always went right into the "collection" -- just got 4 more boxes of 2021 stuff which will be opened here pretty soon.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

@bziddy said:
    I buy stuff with the intent of opening it, or not opening it. I was trying to put together a complete set of 1980-1989 regular issue unopened boxes for a while (ended up about 15-20 oddballs short - mostly rack box/case and wrapper variations) so that always went right into the "collection" -- just got 4 more boxes of 2021 stuff which will be opened here pretty soon.

Sounds like my kind of project. In fact I would say this is damn close to what I’m doing. Along the way I may accumulate along of extras of my favorites tho (87D and 87F are good examples where I have multiple case quantity).

How close are you? Do you collect all issues (Topps, Donruss Fleer, others?)

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

OP,
    I have a good amount of newer stuff saved but it’s the junkier stuff that I like. Heritage and heritage high, Archives. These were the issues I really gravitated towards when I began collecting modern with the kids in 2017 - chasing Judge cards. Oh the fun! But quickly learned how difficult it was to rip for targeted cards (Judge autos).

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

When I got back into the hobby a few years ago I thought about putting aside some of new stuff and holding for years down the road. I did this when I was a kid and think it’s cool that I have some unopened 1989 UD sitting down there with possible Griffey rookies. However my hesitancy is that the new stuff talks about redemption cards which while I never pulled one and I’m sure they’re rare it would be a real kick in the pants to pull one 20 years from now and not be able to claim it.

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:

I was complete on wax releases for "Major" brands in the 80s (Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Sportflics, Score, UD). Things I know I was missing from memory:

• 1980T Cello
    • 1980T Super Cello
    • 1980T Rack
    • 1980O Wax
    • 1981T Rack
    • 1981T Super Cello
    • 1982D Rack (any form)
    • 1983F Rack (any form)
    • 1984F Rack (any form)
    • 1984D rack (any form)

I think I was missing 1982O Wax. I was missing a variation on 1989T (poly wrapper style). I'm unsure what I had on racks as there were multiple styles for multiple years. Just bought new stuff when I saw it. Have lots of the oddball stuff too (stickers, stamps, 3d, jumbo, Popups, Allstar, Tattoos, vending, etc). I started out thinking I needed around 100 boxes. Ended up with a list that was approaching 200 easy.

I picked up weird stuff when I saw it -- Sportflics Rack Boxes, 1985TT Wax, Picked up a case of 1982?D Stamps for about $40 shipped at one point. Have a 1983T Rack -- forget the name/style, but it's 3 wax packs in a rack in a display-ish box. Picked up the Dale Murphy standup 1988D display. I bought cases of 1988T and 1988D Cellos because they were cheap.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bziddy said:

@NJ80sBBC said:

Picked up the Dale Murphy standup 1988D display.

Nice! I love the various packaging and displays from the 80s era.

• Options

Those Donruss displays look incredible! Did you pick them up locally? I have the 85-87 donruss counter displays, but no floor cello displays. Really awesome. Must take up a ton of floor space.

John

• Options

@NJ80sBBC The floor stand display cases were all purchased from eBay and shipped to me. The totals were under $100 on the 88 case and under $150 on the 89 case, delivered, for factory sealed 12 box cases. These purchases were maybe 3-4 years ago??? I bought a second 89 case later for about $180 delivered, but opened about half of those boxes for fun, and gave the display to another collector friend, as he had a case of 89 cellos, but no floor stand.

The 88 and 89 Donruss cello cases used to be quite common in the eBay listings pre-COVID, but I haven't seen one listed for more than a couple of years now. They do take up quite a large area, but I have the room, and have them out on display with much of the rest of my collection.

I've only ever seen one of the 90 Donruss cello cases with the floor stand displays listed on eBay, and didn't realize that would be my only shot at one, apparently. I let it go by, I mean, it's 90 Donruss, right? Never saw another cello case for years, so just went ahead and grabbed the first 90 Donruss wax box floor stand display I saw instead when I had a chance. I've only seen a couple of those wax stands since then, but I don't really search that hard for them now. The 90 Donruss counter display, with the wire rack, were scarce when I was looking, but once I acquired mine, they seemed to suddenly pop up all of the time. The 88 and 89 Donruss counter displays are quite common, still, on eBay.

• Options

Countdouglas, love your room setup!

• Options

@Dodgerfanjohn said:
    Countdouglas, love your room setup!

Thank you. This is a somewhat dated pic, as my card room is a living thing and evolves as the collection changes. I've posted various pics with different looks in other threads. I've nicknamed my room "360 degrees of awesomeness!" This pic best shows off the counter displays, and that part of my room is unchanged currently, but some of the stuff that you see in the background has been moved/removed/ or things added since this was taken.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

kobefan1 - In this market it is going to be very tough to find any value in new product. Every channel is being squeezed, where the retail play no longer exists for most collectors.

I've been buying licensed college draft boxes like Press Pass and SAGE when I can find them for less than $100 per. The early 2000-2005 stuff is too expensive but I've been finding good buys in the 2007 -2009 range. The boxes I picked up have between 4-16 autos depending on the product. I think 2010 is the last year that of the CLC licenses boxes. I avoid the air brushed 2011-2014 years since the cards, especially SAGE, look awful.

To me Press Pass is the nicer of the two brands. Most of their autos are on-card, SAGE uses stickers. I've sold a few autographs from rips and was surprised how much some of the non-star autos went for.

Mike
  • Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone