Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Printing defect or mark? PSA grading question.

I am considering buying this card (see pic below) for my collection, but would want to cross it over to PSA. I have a question about the mark at the top of the card about a quarter of the way across from the left hand side. My guess is that this is a result of printing rather than a mark from ink or something that would get it an MK qualifier from PSA, but I'm not confident in that. I have seen stray brown dots from printing on other N28 cards (and there are some on this one), but not a line like this that looks reddish in color. I would have thought that if it were ink that is not from printing, SGC would not have graded it a 5.5, but I'm not very familiar with their grading. Can anybody give me advice on this? Is this a risk to come back from PSA with an MK qualifier? Or does it see clear to those of you with more experience that this is a printing issue that will not merit a qualifier? I really want one of these for my collection, but I would be paying a bit of a premium for this card, so don't want to risk it coming back with the qualifier. Thank you for your help!

Tim

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'm confused. Are you saying that you'd be fine with a 3 but would prefer not to have a 5 MK, or are you asking whether we think this would cross at a 5.5 straight grade?

• I’m asking whether you think this would get an MK qualifier, regardless of the grade assigned. I’m not expecting it would come back at a 5.5 given in my limited experience PSA seems to grade tougher than SGC.

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

PSA announced they are no longer doing qualifiers. I guess they just lower the grade on cards that would have gotten qualifiers.

• I heard they were doing away with some qualifiers. The website lists six, with four of them being optional. But one of the required ones is MK, which is why I’m hesitant about this not knowing if it would likely get the MK qualifier or if this is an issue in the printing of the card. Would SGC have given this a 5.5 if this were a mark from ink after printing?

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Seems to certainly be a print defect and not an extraneous mark IMO

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 8:23PM

Looks kind of like the type of mark a rusty paperclip would make. Did it leave an indention? There's a mark at the bottom also. Right below the work 'Virginia'. PSA 2 is probably best case scenario.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

For what its worth there is a card image in the auction prices search here on the PSA for a card graded 4 that seems to have a line in the same position. Not the best image though.

I would also say the line in your scan appears to have the exact same colors that appear on the rest of the card (red & black)

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com