Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I found a Victoriatus for my collection

Ever since I got my Quadrigatus I have had an eye out for a nice example of it's little brother..

The "Victoriatus":

Anonymous. Ca. 211-208 BC. AR victoriatus (17mm, 3.32 gm, 9h). NGC Choice MS 5/5 - 5/5, Fine Style. Apulia, Q series. Laureate head of Jupiter right / Victory standing right, crowning trophy; Q between, ROMA in exergue. Crawford 102/1. Sydenham 115.

Per Wikipedia:

"The coin originally weighed about 3.4 grams (3 scruples), meaning that it was half the value of the quadrigatus, a coin weighing 6 scruples that was by this time no longer produced. The Victoriatus was made of a more debased silver
than the denarius, which was introduced at about the same time. Hoard evidence indicates that the coin circulated in southern Italy and later Gaul, indicating that the coin was intended as a replacement for the drachma or half-nomos
instead of as part of the normal Roman coin system. When first issued the Victoriatus had a value of about 3/4 of a denarius, however when the Quinarius was reintroduced in 101 BC with a similar type, it was valued at 1/2 a denarius.
This indicates that Victoriati that were still in circulation at this time were worn and considered to be worth only half a denarius. The reintroduced Quinarius was produced mainly for Cisalpine Gaul, where the Victoriatus
and imitations were popular. The reintroduced Quinarius may have continued to be called a Victoriatus, although there is no written evidence of this."

I must have passed on at least 40-50 of them for various reasons. I got sidetracked by some denarii (looking at you Vespasian and Domitian)
but one of these was definitely on my high priority list.

Well I recently managed to get one and figured I would share it with you guys :).

It's also my first "Fine Style" coin!

One thing I find interesting (and hilarious) is that the Roman Republic was WAY better at making circular coins.

During the Roman Empire denarii were very rarely perfect circles. But this Victoriatus was made centuries earlier and is (almost) a perfect circle.

Interestingly it just so happens that even though my coins aren't exactly their exact ideal weight my Victoriatus still weighs exactly 1/2 of what my Quadrigatus weighs xD.

My Quadrigatus is 6.64 grams and my Victoriatus is 3.32 grams so the weights are exactly 2:1 for this pair.

Although the crack on the edge of the Victoriatus (6 o clock on the obverse) takes away some eye appeal I am glad that at least it didn't affect the design of the obverse or the reverse.

Some of the Victoriatuses (Victoriati?) I've seen have the head way down at the bottom or half the reverse at the edge and the other half missing.

If anyone is curious it's because it's an "as minted" defect so that's how it still got the 5/5 surface grade.

But at least my Quadrigatus has some battle scars too lol!

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Nice!!

Thanks! I feel like both the quadrigatus and victoriatus are essential when it comes to Roman Republican coinage.

Both were used during the critical time period of the Second Punic Wars against Hannibal. In my opinion the biggest threat to the Republic up to that time.

They may not have circulated for very long but the short period they were in circulation was rich with history.

I have always thought of coins as a way of touching the past and each coin represents a different time and I love to collect coins that touch a time that I am particularly interested in.

When I look at them I wonder if they were paid to a soldier fighting against (or for) Hannibal or a civilian fleeing from (or to) Hannibal. I'll never be able to prove anything about it's past but it's fun to think about.

Alas if only coins could talk and tell us what they've seen. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Awesome!

Thanks asheland! :)