Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Last Topps card of all the hall of famers

My latest project has been to collect the last Topps card of every hall of farmer. This was a fun project because it was not too expensive except for a few. I am only missing the 1953 satchel Paige and the newest inductees from last week. I have Mariano Rivera, goose gos sage, whitey Ford, yogi berra, Phil rizzuto, and roger maris but they are in my yankee team set collections. There is a card show in my town this coming weekend and I hope to get the newest inductees then.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

The pictures were in order by decade but somehow they got rearranged.

• GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

As the one who started the thread questioning the pursuit of rookie cards, I heartily approve of this idea.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Love it!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you did there 😉

Andy

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@GilR said:
    As the one who started the thread questioning the pursuit of rookie cards, I heartily approve of this idea.

In some cases that final year card can be pretty pricey! Such is the case with that 56 Robinson and 58 Williams! Been looking at both of those already graded for a while. Looks like my price range on both is going to be in the very low grades (1-3)!

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Forgot to mention I love the idea too!

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

1967 Topps Koufax Retirado would be a good pick-up.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can vaguely remember this idea being written about decades ago in an old sports card trader magazine.

I sure miss the old hobby periodicals.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this idea, thanks for sharing.

Question about 2 of them though: What about the 1974 Topps W.S. Willie Mays and the 1975 Topps Highlights Al Kaline instead of the 1973 Mays and 1974 Topps Kaline?

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Cool idea for a project!! Nice

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

This is such a cool idea. Seeing Smoltz on Stl and Piazza on Oak is weird. Adds to the concept IMO.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Neat! I especially love the George Brett. That sweet swing and the Royals' trademark scoreboard get featured nicely. Lots of the "last cards" sure make the player look old. Stargell for example, looks fat and tired. 76 Aaron makes him look tired. The 65 Spahn he looks ancient as well. Some of them, though, like Rollie Fingers' 86, make them look like they are still at the top of their game. Jackie Robinson's last card he still looks like he could fly! Thanks for sharing all of those together!
    kevin

@miwlvrn said:

Question about 2 of them though: What about the 1974 Topps W.S. Willie Mays and the 1975 Topps Highlights Al Kaline instead of the 1973 Mays and 1974 Topps Kaline?

@miwlvrn said:

I wanted their last official card

@72skywalker said:

@miwlvrn said:

@miwlvrn said:

I wanted their last official card. I always liked the base cards instead of the league leaders or highlights cards.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Slipping in a little peter

@ahopkins said:
    I see what you did there 😉

Sometimes it works out, but often it didn't. It would be cool to have a last card that showed final career stats as well. Often the player didn't get a card the following year, which is odd because why not? With 600-800 cards per set, why not have a career capping tribute to the best of the game, even if the card was marked "Retired".

For example, a 1978 Brooks Robinson in addition to his RB card.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Love this! I actually thought about doing this myself a while back. Thanks for sharing!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

@i was able to pick up the Minnie minoso, Gil Hodges, and tony Olivia today at our local card show.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the card number for Minoso? I don’t think he’s in the 64 Venezuelan set I’m working on, but wanted to double check.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:
    What’s the card number for Minoso? I don’t think he’s in the 64 Venezuelan set I’m working on, but wanted to double check.

He is #538.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:

@DBesse27 said:

He is #538.

Thanks! The Venz set is just the first 370 cards.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2021 12:32PM

Steve Carlton has an 87 Topps Traded card.

@Browns1981 said:

@Browns1981 said:

Thanks. I will look for it

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

@Browns1981 said:

As was Reggie Jackson

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Very cool, great idea and thank you for sharing!

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

@DavidPuddy said:

@Browns1981 said:

As was Reggie Jackson

I found the Reggie Jackson and Steve Carlton on sport lots. I now only need the satchel Paige. There was a dealer at our monthly card show yesterday that has the satchel Paige. They are asking $1,600 for it ungraded. That seems too high to me now.

• downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I collected a few back in late 80s and had them signed, so I didn’t have their rookies signed. This way had their final stats too

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked Killebrew's last Topps card, looks like he's signing an autograph for a fan.

Also glad they didn't make a card for him in a Royals uniform, that wouldn't look right to me.

SSPC did produce a card of Harmon in a Royals jersey, if you are interested.

:-(

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

There is a nice collectors grade (PSA VG-3) in the Sirius Sports Auction (closes 1/30)
    looks perfect s/s and about 70/30 or 80/20 - centered to the top.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals